Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controlling sketch x and y axis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
joshdbell
381 Views, 2 Replies

controlling sketch x and y axis

I apologise if this has been covered in a previous posting, but I did not find a "clear" answer.

As a background....I am coming off of 10+ years using Catia (that's the software the company used) and have moved to a company that uses Inventor instead. I have used inventor for the past year.

In the past (Catia) it seemed pretty intuitive to create the vertical and horizontal during the creation of the sketch in such a way that would reflect the way you would want it defined as a view in a drawing. As well as controlling the preferred screen view (vertical +’ve to the top of the screen and horizontal +’ve to the right of the screen)

As per a previous post....I have tried the "Edit Coordinate System" but find it difficult to control the Vertical and Horizontal axis independent of each other.......

I understand that "functionally" there is no issue...but it becomes quite disorienting in a complex model when going to edit a sketch and the model spins around, showing the sketch in an orientation that doesn't relate to the models features, or "sketch related" features.

It becomes especially difficult/confusing when modifying/checking other peoples models as well.

I just wanted to support the need for this functionality. In the end it just enhances the flexibility of the software and maintain some amount of definable company standard work procedures for modelling.

Maybe it hasn't been included in the software because of proprietary reasons? I would hope there is a reason.....it seems like there are people out there who would utilize it.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: joshdbell

@joshdbell wrote:

....I have tried the "Edit Coordinate System"

...when going to edit a sketch and the model spins around, showing the sketch in an orientation that doesn't relate to the models features, or "sketch related" features.

1. I have never used Edit Coordinate System in Inventor.
2. Turn this spinning off.  Tools>Application Options.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
joshdbell
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks. This does help with the dis-orienting nature of the spinning a sketch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report