Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continue 3D sketch

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
197 Views, 6 Replies

Continue 3D sketch

I've got a user here that needed to know how to create a cable run in Inventor. I created a new part, projected a ton of workplanes, created workpoints, then drew a 3D sketch through those 4 points. I then created a 2D sketch of a circle and swept it along the 3D path. No problem. I just got the run started for him and he was to continue the cable run. He edited the 3D sketch, added a few more workplanes and a few more workpoints. But he couldn't add to the existing 3D sketch. It looked like he had to delete the 3D sketch and click the points in succession from the start. Is this true - you can't continue (add to) an existing 3D sketch or did I once again overlook the obvious? On a related or possibly unrelated issue, after he deleted the 3D sketch, he added another workplane and Inventor crashed. I believe he said the error said something about the sweep feature failing then Inventor.exe has generated errors, etc. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. "Well then, my goal becomes clear. The broccoli must DIE..."
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Edit the 3d sketch, and then click "Line" and add your extra points. Just make sure you start from the end of the last point. At least I think this works - You'd probably want to check first! Rory "Brian Iwaskewycz" wrote in message news:406c3af2_1@newsprd01... I've got a user here that needed to know how to create a cable run in Inventor. I created a new part, projected a ton of workplanes, created workpoints, then drew a 3D sketch through those 4 points. I then created a 2D sketch of a circle and swept it along the 3D path. No problem. I just got the run started for him and he was to continue the cable run. He edited the 3D sketch, added a few more workplanes and a few more workpoints. But he couldn't add to the existing 3D sketch. It looked like he had to delete the 3D sketch and click the points in succession from the start. Is this true - you can't continue (add to) an existing 3D sketch or did I once again overlook the obvious? On a related or possibly unrelated issue, after he deleted the 3D sketch, he added another workplane and Inventor crashed. I believe he said the error said something about the sweep feature failing then Inventor.exe has generated errors, etc. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. "Well then, my goal becomes clear. The broccoli must DIE..."
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Just be aware that you can also sweep along chained multiple sketches that are a combination of 2D and 3D sketches. So sometimes creating and maintaining a pure 3D skecth may be the harder way considering how easily we can control 2D sketches.. see example here http://www.mymcad.com/inventorfaq_answer2701.html -- Drew Fulford, B.A.Sc. Autodesk Manufacturing Products Manager Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario Tel: (905)331-9670, Toll Free: 1-(866) 698-2831, Fax: (905)331-7280 Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/ Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/ "Brian Iwaskewycz" wrote in message news:406c3af2_1@newsprd01... I've got a user here that needed to know how to create a cable run in Inventor. I created a new part, projected a ton of workplanes, created workpoints, then drew a 3D sketch through those 4 points. I then created a 2D sketch of a circle and swept it along the 3D path. No problem. I just got the run started for him and he was to continue the cable run. He edited the 3D sketch, added a few more workplanes and a few more workpoints. But he couldn't add to the existing 3D sketch. It looked like he had to delete the 3D sketch and click the points in succession from the start. Is this true - you can't continue (add to) an existing 3D sketch or did I once again overlook the obvious? On a related or possibly unrelated issue, after he deleted the 3D sketch, he added another workplane and Inventor crashed. I believe he said the error said something about the sweep feature failing then Inventor.exe has generated errors, etc. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. "Well then, my goal becomes clear. The broccoli must DIE..."
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I can add lines between the newly-created workpoints, but I cannot draw a line to or from the end of the existing 3D sketch. It's almost like the workpoints become "consumed" by the 3D sketch once they're clicked. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brian R. Iwaskewycz Senior Mechanical Engineer PA Transformer Technology, Inc. "Well then, my goal becomes clear. The broccoli must DIE..." "Rory" wrote in message news:406c42bf$1_3@newsprd01... Edit the 3d sketch, and then click "Line" and add your extra points. Just make sure you start from the end of the last point. At least I think this works - You'd probably want to check first!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I have seen the same thing. But I found that if I made the sketch in a previous version then I would have troubles. If I made it in IV8 native then there was no problem. Kathy Johnson
Message 6 of 7
uvkf

Hi

We have the same problem as Brian Iwaskewycz.
I have made a test on your suggestion and it work fine but how do I made bend on the pipe as god as in a 3d sketch?

Best regards
Ulla Frederiksen
Message 7 of 7
J.CROTEAU

Is there a way to add work point in the "middle" of a 3d sketch? If I delete a line and add another point, I can only select the new point not the one that already exist.

Is this a major limitation or major ignorance?

Thank you

Jocelyn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report