Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuation of an aligned dimension in an *.idw

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mark.mmlj
348 Views, 2 Replies

Continuation of an aligned dimension in an *.idw

I have a part with several non-vertical and non-horizontal lines I'm trying to dimension.  I pick one line and do an aligned dimension.  Looks great.  I want to continue that dimension chain to included some other non-vertical and non-horizontal lines which are not parallel to the first line I dimensioned.  I can do a chain dimension by picking all the lines I want to include in the dimension chain, but it only seems to produce veritcal or horizontal dimension chains.  It won't align to any of the angled lines.  It's easy to do this in AutoCAD but I can't figure it out in Inventor.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mpatchus
in reply to: mark.mmlj

What you want to do can be done with a CHAIN SET.

Depending on the geometry involved it can be a pain.

Select the angled line you want the dimensions aligned to as the first item of the chain, then select the remaining geometry to be dimensioned.

Move your mouse to various locations in relation to the geometry and you should find a point where you get the desired results.

(I've found that moving the mouse near one of the points usually gives me the aligned dimensions.)

Aligned Dimensions.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 3
mark.mmlj
in reply to: mpatchus

That did it.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report