Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
197 Views, 2 Replies

Content Center

I'm attempting to add a 1" x 1" x .120" tube to the ANSI AISC (Square) family table in my Content Center.  I've inserted a row above the 2 x 2 x 3/16 tube and have edited all the applicable columns accept the Ix [inch^4] and Iy [inch^4] column fields.  I'm not sure what this is refering to and I need to enter something or my family table becomes sick.  I'm not an engineer, I probably would know this if I was.  Please Help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wimann
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forums,

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what those portions of the table are actually for. As I understand it, Inventor applies the material properties to the shape and would use those if you were to run FEA or any other analysis. With that said, I'd likely put whatever you see fit into those columns. Much like the weight per foot column in many of the family tables. If it does anything, I'd really like to know because as it stands, Inventor always calculates the mass of the parts by the density of the material no matter what I put in that column.

So that's my opinion based on my experience. Somone else on here might have some ground breaking information about it but I haven't heard anything yet.

Hope this helps. 

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: wimann

Thanks for your input Will,

I was able to find a previous post with basically the same problem.  Same part too.  I understand them to be the "moments of inertia".  I was able to find a website that helps you calculate the Ixx (unit^4): and the Iyy (unit^4): values by simply entering the width and height properties.  I entered some of the values for tubes that had this field populated already.  They came close.  Even if Inventor uses these fields in areas I'm not using I still like to have my charts seem intelligent. I'm sure your the same way.  Anyways, here is the website.  http://civilengineer.webinfolist.com/str/micalc.htm

There may be something better out there. This is the first I opened.  It's easier than scouring through the Machinery's Handbook.

Your response was very helpful.  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report