Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
cs2106
1854 Views, 21 Replies

Content Center

All,  my content center has gone away and I don't know where to find it.  There is not even an option to make adjustments to the content center in the manage projects window.  All my paths seem correct and I'm not sure what else to check.  Any insight would be great.  Thanks.

C Schaefer
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
ampster402
in reply to: cs2106

more info needed...

what version of Inventor?

Where was the CC located or used from previously, ie, Vault or Desktop Content?

Message 3 of 22
cwhetten

Odd...  A large swath of my users lost their content center yesterday.  For an unknown reason, their CC options were automatically changed from vault server to desktop content.

This may be what happened to you.  If so, try going to Application Options > Content Center tab > change Access Options from Inventor Desktop Content to Vault Server.

Message 4 of 22
cs2106
in reply to: ampster402

Using Ultimate 2012 version as a single user and the CC was on the desktop.

C Schaefer
Message 5 of 22
cs2106
in reply to: cwhetten

cwhette,

Interesting how so many lost the content center.  I was already a desktop content center user but I checked and all the settings were correct.  Also, under manage project there is no option for working with content centers.  Thanks

C Schaefer
Message 6 of 22
cwhetten

Did your Windows user account get corrupted?

Or, maybe check your Inventor add-ins.  Tools > Add-in Manager.  Check to make sure the Content Center add-in is loaded.

Message 7 of 22
cbenner

Message 8 of 22
cs2106

cwhetten.

.no crashes recently but good call on the add-in manager.  I checked it and everything in it had been turned off or reset with no good explination why.  Thanks a million!!

C Schaefer
Message 9 of 22
cwhetten

Glad that worked.  The only time I have had issues with add-ins turning themselves off is from installing a service pack.  Other than that, I have no idea why an add-in would suddenly be disabled... Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 22
cbenner

I've been having this issue lately as I have been playing with the Job Processor... not very successfully either.  JP is either very slow or locks up altogether, forcing me to kill it in the Task Manager... which then fubars Inventor the next time I try to open it.  Inventor freezes at the splash, and when I finally get it open, all Add-Ins are unloaded.

For now my fix is to stop playing with Job Processor.  For all the help it's been, I can create my dwf's the old fashioned way much faster.

Message 11 of 22
daviswe

I downloaded the trial of 2013, and cannot use any of the content center at all.  I was careful to make sure I did NOT use the Vault, and instead chose the desktop version, and indeed, the files are in  my "c:\\programdata\autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries" folder.  There are 13 files in there, 12 ending ending in ".idcl" and one ending in ".idz".

My File tab in App options has the "%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2013\" folder reference as typed.

So, if the content center files for ANSI bolts, and so on, the standard ones, not mine, are all in their respective folders, and I am not using Vault, what else should I do to use the Content center?  Is it broken in the demo?? 

Thanks for any tips.

Message 12 of 22
daviswe
in reply to: daviswe

PS:  I also set my project settings to the correct folder for the standard files.  Was that  mistake?  I can't make heads or tails out of the several folders involved in content center as installed, and the ones i create.

Message 13 of 22
cwhetten

@daviswe wrote:

... the files are in  my "c:\\programdata\autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries" folder.

My File tab in App options has the "%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2013\" folder reference as typed.

The locations you listed are not the same locations.  The %PUBLICDOCUMENTS% thingy points here: C:\Users\Public\Documents (for Windows 7, anyway...).

Try copying the contents of c:\\programdata\autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries into

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center Files\R2013\

Then give it a try to see if it works.

We use vault, so I'm not to savvy on how the desktop content setup is supposed to look...

Message 14 of 22
cwhetten

Wait, wait, wait...  What I said before is completely dumb.  I confused the actual CC library database files and the location for the generated content files.  Oops.

What do you see when you go to Projects > Configure Content Center (lower right corner, above the Done button--see image)?

Configure CC.png

Message 15 of 22
daviswe

cwhetten,

Thanks for the reply, and also for catching the initial post 🙂 

When I go to my 'Configure Content Center Libraries' button above the 'Done' button in the Projects dialog, I see nothing other than an empty list where the content files that are in my c:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries.  The two images below are consistent, yet the CC is simply absent when I try to place a bolt, for example.

I don't think the %PUBLICDOCUMENTS%...' path in the Applications Options tab is relevant to the default installed libraries, and neither is the Applications Options 'File' tab setting for 'Default Content Center Files, as those are my files that are created when I use a bolt or other CC part.

That's my configuration, and after un-installing and installing the demo software about 5 times, I am hoping for some additional info that might help.  This does not really bode well for such an expensive program if it's so hard to put a bolt on a piece of metal 🙂

PS:  I wanted to include a pic of my 'Configure Libraries' list, but only three pics allowed.   The Config Lib dialoge shows that i'm using Access Option 'Inventor Desktop Content', and Location of Libraries as C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries.  HOWEVER, the libraries section of that dialog is completely blank, i.e, there are no names of library files, the grid is all blank.  Clicking on the link next to 'Location of Libraries' shows my content as in the image attached.

Me stumped.

Ed

Message 16 of 22
daviswe

Is it possible that older versions of the demos for 2011, 2010, etc might be interfering?  I deleted all of those, but who knows what might lurk in the Registry, or what settings might still be on the computer causing this seemingly simple folder from being found by Inventor?

Message 17 of 22
cwhetten

Like I said before, we use Vault so I'm not too certain how the desktop content is set up.  BUT, I looked at the library files on our vault server and they are set up differently than what you show.  Each library database file is in it's own folder (instead of all in one like you show), and the files have a .mdf extension (instead of the .idcl that you have).  See the attached image.

I'm wondering if those .idcl files need to be extracted to get the .mdf files?  I also noticed that we have an application called ContentLibrarySetup.exe in the folder with our libraries.  Do you have that same application?

One last thing, when you install Inventor, there is the option to install the content center libraries as well.  You get the choice of which libraries to install.  Did you install the CC libraries when you installed Inventor?

Message 18 of 22
daviswe

From my research, I understood that the file names were correct, but now I'm questioning that.  I don't have a ContentLibrarySetup.exe on my computer, but I did find a single "AI2010_InventorSamples.mdf" file left over from an older demo, and it is apparently a SQL Server Database Primary Data File, but we all know that file extensions can vary in meaning.  In any case, I would not  be using SQL files since I'm on desktop.

I'll look into extracting the files, I really don't know what else it could be!  You would THINK that installing the content center during installation would allow one to use them directly.  I checked all the CC types in the install setup screen since I wanted to explore them all.

Ed

Message 19 of 22
ampster402

.idcl is the default file type for desktop content, no need to extract anything from them.  Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Message 20 of 22
SBix26

Your setup looks like the standard desktop content  setup, so it "should" work.  Look at your list of add-ins (the '+' icon in the Tools panel).  Do you have Content Center listed, and is it loaded?  I also have an application installed with Inventor named Autodesk Content Service (which may be the same thing, I don't know), visible in my Add or Remove Programs (WinXP) or Programs & Features (Win7) list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report