Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center Sharing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ajcwf9
429 Views, 6 Replies

Content Center Sharing

Hello,

At my company we currently have a huge number of Autocad deployments for 2010,2011,2012.  Right now our deployments weren't setup to include the content centers.  I have installed 2012 Inventor on my personal computer as a trial version to grab the .idcl files.  I was wondering if I would be able to just drag and drop these onto a server and have my co-workers point to the file location within inventor itself via options>content center>etc.  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: ajcwf9

Why don't you just install your content center on the network.  That is the way we have ours.

This way when you publish to it everyone sees it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
ajcwf9

I don't have the capabilities to do that, and our IT department doesn't care enough to really help with solving this on a company wide basis.  For what we do in our office we don't need to share customized parts, but just have access to the things like nuts, bolts, standard channels, etc

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

Then your IT department is stunting the growth of engineering in my opinion.  Smiley Frustrated

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
ampster402

to answer your question, yes you can do that.  However it will be a nightmare for models that use CC parts and someone else goes to open the model on a station that wasn't used to create the model.

You may want to consider also setting everybodies station to store the CC files on the network thru Application Options > File tab > Default Content Center Files.

You mentioned multiple versions of Inventor are being used - not sure if this will work since I believe the CC library will be version specific - could be wrong though.

HTH

Message 6 of 7
ajcwf9

Agreed about the IT department.  As for everything else.....I re downloaded IV on my computer again except did not use the deployment.  It took nearly four hours going through everything and waiting on tech people.  I checked this twice...I put the idcl files from my personal computer on to my share drive here and pointed IV to look there and it worked.  Also I pointed it to the idcl files on my C drive buried way down deep in the Inventor files.  Both ways worked as far as I can tell.  I tried it on 2011 and didn't work, and I think that's because it might use a different file extension.  

As far as opening up parts on different work stations, we usually don't do that, I work in Process Engineering, so the main goal of this was to get quick standardized parts to check dimensions so we don't waste time measuring physical stock or guessing ordered stock dimensions.  Since the files don't cooperate between versions, I may download both 2011 and 2010 and get the library files for my co workers and have everyone copy them to their local machines.  Any problems with this?

Thanks for your support guys!

Message 7 of 7
ChrisMitchell01

I can confirm that what is being discussed here is supported.

You can only actually install the CC library files to a local drive, but subsequently you can copy the .idcl files to a network share & then everyone can "point" to them from the setting on Tools, App Options, CC tab.

If you want to control who has write access to the library files then standard OS file permissions will provide that. If you want more control then using vault for housing your CC is the way to go.

Note that these .idcl files are the source files for the CC parts & are Inventor version specific. Once you have instantiated the parts in an assembly then the ipt's are created in the location as specified in your current project, which can either point to your application options default or can be overridden to be a network location too, depending on how your team/environment is configured.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report