Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center parts display in IDW

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anthony
507 Views, 4 Replies

Content center parts display in IDW

I am having a problem with the display of a custom content center part in an IDW. The cc part has been added to a weldment assembly and has 2 preparation holes drilled into it within the assembly. These holes display fine when showing the whole weldment assembly in the IDW but when I add the cc part on it's own it does not show the drilled holes. I understand this is perhaps because the cc part had to be prepared with the holes and these preparations have not carried over on the IDW, is there a way to display preparations in this way for single cc parts ? Thanks

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cwhetten
in reply to: Anthony

Preparation features added in the weldment IAM exist only at that level.  Assembly-level features (including weldment preparations) are operations you do AFTER you put the assembly or weldment together, and as such, they modify the assembly only, not the individual parts that participate in the features.

So, if you want your features to show up at the part level, you will have to add them at the part level, rather than the assembly level.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 3 of 5
Anthony
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi Cameron, thank you for the clarification on this issue, I suspected this was the case, just needed an expert to confim it Smiley Wink

I would guess then I need to add the features to the part level as you have suggested and not as part of the weldment preparations, thank you.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Anthony

Anthony, there was an Add-In for Inventor that allowed you to 'Push' features you made at the assembly level to the part level.  So in your case, you selected the holes and preparations you made at the Assembly level and the add-in would transfer those exact features to the part.  I have yet to see if that add-in was still available. It might be worth a shot to search, expecially if this is something that you run into quite often.

Found it...

FeatureMigrator for Inventor
This plugin allows Inventor users to more easily create parts from assembly features. Through functionality provided by the tool, users are able to migrate (re-create) an existing assembly feature in the relevant sub-parts at the right location in the part space and with the same properties as the parent feature in the assembly. The FeatureMigrator can reliably migrate an assembly feature to the part level. This can save a lot of time and effort for the user when compared with the manual approach, i.e., creating the equivalent features in the affected parts.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/ADN_plugins/catalog

Regards,

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 5
Anthony
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Hi there, many thanks for your reply and the information on FeatureMigrator, I'll look into this, sounds like just the think I've been looking for, many thanks Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report