Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center on single user project

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
chemlite91
539 Views, 7 Replies

Content center on single user project

I work for a company that does not use Vault. Yet. We have 8 Inventor Users which I will categorize as beginner to novice. My question is: is there a way to insert a bolted assembly from the CC and have it save those pieces to the individual project file. All of our proj files are set up as single users so when you insert a bolt on one computer it won't show up on another users station. I could've sworn there was an option to do this, but can't locate it. We do not have the CC on our server and I am currently working on getting IT to do that, but these things can take some time.

Thank you,

Diana

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: chemlite91

If I understand you correctly, you are using Desktop Content Center files?  So the CC is on each individual machine?  Any parts generated from that CC will be saved in the default Content Center location, as defined in the Application Options.  That should be locally on each machine, if I read you properly.  Once you move to a networked CC, you'll have to change each user's path to that location,... and probably move all of thier local Content as well.  Once you do that, however, everyone will have access to those parts generated be each user... is that what you are after?

Message 3 of 8
chemlite91
in reply to: cbenner

Yeah, that's what I figured. I had thought that there was a way to save any inserted CC components to the individual project file locations.That way we wouldn't have this problem until they finally do put it on the server. Otherwise we'll have to create each bolted connection as individual parts and insert as needed. Which blows. Thanks for you reply.

Diana

Message 4 of 8
cbenner

I'm unclear on what you mean by "individual project file locations". 

When you use bolted connection generator, the individual components will be created in your Content Center location:

cc1.JPG

The Bolted Connection assembly that gets generated using these components, can be saved wherever you want it, as it gets created.

Message 5 of 8
chemlite91

All of our jobs are assigned an project #, and each has it's own folder on the server. All of us have access to that folder so any one of us can work on the project. So if drafter #1 inserts 10 different bolted connections into one assembly, then when drafter #8 opens the same assembly to work on it at another time they won't have the bolted connections because the files are located on the machine and not the server or project file. The further along we get into the project it gets worse because there are so many bolts and pins.

Looking at the jpg that you attached, if I changed that to the project file that I want it to be save in will it also look in that location for the CC files as I insert them? It would be nice if it just saved them in the same location as the .proj file.

Thank you

Diana

Message 6 of 8
cbenner

Well, usually the Content Center and any other library files, have to be saved above your project files. 

For example, as you see above my Project location is the shared "K" drive.  Content Center is at K:\Content Center.  Then my (we only use 1) Project File (.ipj) is located in a subfolder under the K:drive called "Work".  Then underneath that we structured it so that each new job has it's own folder and subfolders with the job #'s.   That way hundreds of jobs can share one Content Center, controlled by one project.  Also under the "Work" folder are any other parts that we may need, which are NOT content center related, as well as misc. junk that has accumulated over the years... (need to clean that up one of these days...)

Some companies, depending on their complexity of divisions, departments etc, cannot do this with only one project.  That's why the library )CC) exists above the projects.  Multiple project files can all point to the same Content Center location, as long as it is on a shared drive above the project location.

Is this clear as mud?  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
chemlite91

Definitely clear. I'm going to have to go kick IT in the head everyday until I get it put on the server. 🙂

Thanks for all of your help!
Diana
Message 8 of 8
mslosar

If you're using separate project files per project you can point the CC to each project.

The problem there is that you could update things from the library, but if it was custom(ized) content, no one elese could.

Alternatively when placing components from the library, you are given the choice of standard or custom. If you choose a custom part, it places that part wherever you want it (like your project folder) as just another part. Once done, though, it has no connection to the CC any longer.

As noted above though, you'd need to use your project file to define where you want the content center folder to be stored for that project. The default is your C drive, so bolts you insert would be placed on your C drive and when somoene else tries to open that assembly they'll get no bolts because it's looking at their C drive and not yours.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report