Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center error "Unable to create component"

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
cwhetten
10142 Views, 34 Replies

Content Center error "Unable to create component"

One of my Inventor users (Inventor 2010) is constantly getting an error when he attempts to place certain content center parts.  He can navigate the CC libraries, find a part family, select a member, but when he tries to create/place the part, he gets a pop-up that says "Unable to create component" (see attached), and the part is not placed.

This topic has been posted here many many times.  I have searched through gobs and gobs of threads about this, but I have never seen a single explanation or solution that definitely takes care of the problem.  Some suggestions that have been offered have helped some people, but don't work for others.

Does anybody know what the heck is going on with this?

I will list what I have tried and what has and has not worked:

--Try parts from each library.

Some parts worked, some didn’t.  ANSI library seemed to be most problematic, but there were other ones that didn't work either.

--Check if parts in CC folder are read-only.

There were only a few parts in the CC folder.  The parts exhibiting the error did not yet exist in the folder.  Since installing 2010, he has not gotten it to work correctly.

--Delete cache at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\ContentCenter (for XP)

The folder existed but it contained no files.  Contained one subfolder, deleted it.

Didn’t work.

--Change default CC path from %userprofile%

Changed to local hard drive D:\Content Center Files\r2010.

Didn’t work.

--Try creating a new vault project mapped to the same folders.

He was using a single-user project.  Tried using a vault project, same results.

Didn’t work.

--Try creating a single-user project mapped to the same folders.

Didn’t try this.  It didn't seem to matter which project file I had loaded, the error happened every time.

--Delete offending parts in the CC files location.

The offending parts did not exist.

This actually worked!  The other user was able to place parts that the actual user could not.  When the actual user logged back in, it didn’t work anymore.  Tried changing default CC path to folder created for other user (otherusername\My Documents\Inventor…), no effect.  Why would it work for one user but not another?!?  GAH!!  I don't think it's a matter of folder permissions.  He can save a regular ipt file to the CC folder.  He has access to these folders.

--Try unloading one of the offending libraries from project file, then reloading.

Didn’t work.

--Try accelerating head to reach impact force against a nearby wall.

Didn’t work.  Left a bump.  On my head.  Wall was indifferent to my efforts.

I don't know what else to try.  Obviously, logging in as a different user is not a solution to the problem.

A few things I noticed as I was trying to figure this out:

Using CC Editor, noticed that offending parts did not show up in their respective libraries.  For instance, ANSI part family “Hex Bolt – Inch” was not in the list when the library view was set to Inventor ANSI.  But, that part showed up in the list if the view was set to Merged View.  Part no longer showed up in merged view if the Inventor ANSI library was removed from the project CC libraries.

If I right-click on parts that worked (ISO part family “ISO 4014”, for instance) and selected Family Properties, on the General tab in the Library field I see the library which contains the part (i.e. “//servername:Inventor ISO”).  If I do the same for one of the offending families, the Library field is blank.  It should say “//servername:Inventor ANSI”.

So, clearly something strange is going on with the libraries.  They are there, but they aren't there.  How can a part show up in the CC if the CC doesn't even know which library it belongs to?

None of my other users have ever complained about this type of error (that doesn't necessarily mean that no others have experienced it...).  All of the parts that don't work for this one user work just fine for me.  I have never had this error happen to me in the years that I have been using Inventor and the Content Center.

Does anybody know what's REALLY going on here?

-cwhetten

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
cwhetten
in reply to: cwhetten

His machine specs:

IV2010 Professional SP?
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

HP Pavilion laptop, 3 GB RAM

ATI something-or-other video card

Message 3 of 35
cwhetten

My machine specs:

IV2010 Professional SP3
Build 551 Subscription Advantage Pack
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Dell T3500, Intel Xeon Duo 2.40 GHz, 6 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800, 768 MB
Driver Ver: 197.85
Dual Monitors, 1280x1024

Message 4 of 35
Dennis_Jeffrey

I'd have to view his screen/system before I could give a definite answer. If you have broadband access at his system, feel free to contact me at:

djeffrey@teknigroup.com

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 35
mpham6784
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I have the same problem as the first post. Please help

Message 6 of 35
s.borisov
in reply to: mpham6784

I have this problem too. I can't import anything from Content Center. If I'm not wrong there is a update for 2010 Release for the same problem. Please correct this error in 2011.

Message 7 of 35
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: s.borisov

Are you using Desktop Content?  If so, make sure it's checked in Tools >> Application Options >> Content Center. You will also need to configure your Project file for the desired libraries.

602i3814332A8CEC9E5F

604iCD9A810F08EE011D

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 8 of 35
s.borisov

Yes, I'm using Desktop Content and my project file is configured properly. The attached files are my screeenshots. Still have the problem.

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous

Check to make sure you can create files in the folder where the content center files are stored.

This is not the same folder where the content center libraries are located.

Message 10 of 35
s.borisov
in reply to: Anonymous

I have read/write permissions in folders (I have two accounts), where content center files are stored.

Message 11 of 35
zma1013

Do the parts in question happen to be linked to another family?  That was my problem.  After the 2011 install, I got the same error with some of my components and after searching and looking around and stuff, I eventually broke the links from the original family that the components were made from.  For whatever reason, all my CC parts work fine now.  You may just want to look into that as a solution, backing up your CC first of course in case you would want to return it to the normal state.

Just throwing that out there.

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 12 of 35
s.borisov
in reply to: zma1013

I still have the problem. The Content Center practically is unusable for me:(

Message 13 of 35
pauldoubet

I would recommend you try saving a CC part from a family you are having problems with using the 'As Custom' option and save the file to your Work Space. If you are successful doing this then I would suspect you do not have the correct permissions set for the directory you are attempting to save to with a 'Standard' CC part. I have seen the 'Unable to create Part' message previously if your Inventor directory for CC parts is located under the Program Files directory.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 14 of 35
s.borisov
in reply to: pauldoubet

The same result:( My CC directories are located in partition D:\Account name Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2011

Message 15 of 35
RobJV

I have had the exact same error message come up for me in the past.  I am on Vault though.  My barbaric solution was to find the part and delete it in my Vault and then I was able to reinsert it into my assembly.

Probably does not help you because it sounds like your user is not using vault.

Rob

Message 16 of 35
s.borisov
in reply to: RobJV

You're right Rob- I'm using Desktop, not Vault.

Stoyan

Message 17 of 35
s.borisov

Two months after the first post in this topic and the problem is still there:(

Message 18 of 35
Dennis_Jeffrey

Wild Shot.....   do you have Excel installed (what version please)?

Can you create an iPart?

Message 19 of 35
s.borisov

Yes, I have Excel installed. It's a part from Office 2007 SP1 fully updated and I can create iParts.

Message 20 of 35
TOOCH

I had the same problem when I tried to place a content center part into an assembly, but I have located my prolem and that is empty fields in the Family table. I have created my own customized cc-parts and added an column with ordernumbers and not every dimension has one so I left them empty and that resulted in "unable to create component" for those who had empty fields.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report