Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center - custom property mapping issues

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
axemanjon
2654 Views, 13 Replies

Content center - custom property mapping issues

I'm currently at my wit's end trying to create some custom Content Center families.

Basically my company do not currently have a Materials library set up and use a custom iProperty for the BoM description and material fields (long story not worth going into). This means I need to create some customised content with these property fields, which then map to the iProperties in the generated CC parts. So far I've gone through these steps:

- Copy the reference family to our custom library

- Modify 'family table' to include my extra property columns / modify the mapped display name

- Modify 'family properties' so the CC parts generate in a sensible folder within our heirarchy

Up to this point the parts generate fine. The issue occurring is that when I attempt to map the additional property columns - to "Custom.Material" for example - the system breaks entirely. Inventor seems unable to create/update the iProperty and just bins me out with "Unable to create component".

I've tried about 10 times so far with the same result every time. Not only this, but I've noticed setting up the mapping in the family table doesn't necessarily mean it appears in the 'family properties / parameter mapping' dialog.. no/one/two mappings may show up! Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: axemanjon

What version of Inventor is this?

Can you post a screen shot of your custom faily table and/or your attempted mapping (column properties box)?

I'll play around with the procedure in the mean time and see if I can duplicate your error.

Message 3 of 14
axemanjon
in reply to: cbenner

It's Inventor 2013 SP 1.1, running with Vault Pro 2013 update 1. We're due to migrate to 2014 in the next few weeks, though I'm assuming that the content centre coding hasn't been upgraded?

I've attached the family table in excel format, and screenshots of the two mappings. In this case the family property mapping tab shows up neither, as I'd expected!

Message 4 of 14
cbenner

Have you tried creating this family without the two custom columns?  I think we need to rule out the possibility that your error may be coming from something else in the table.  Which is always possible with such a loarge family table.... one bad value that would result in geometry failure could corrupt the entire preocess.  If everything generates just fine without these two columns, then we can say that it's something in one of the two of them.  Based on your images, I'm not seing anything wrong with how you have things mapped.

Also, I noticed in your Part Number column, you have some values that are blue and some that are black, indicating that the expression value has been overridden on those feilds (the black ones).  This shouldn't cause your failures, but you might want to look into this.  To re-establish the expression value in an overridden feild, simply delete the black value and the expression value should show up in blue.

Message 5 of 14
axemanjon

Hi again.

The parts will create no problem with or without the custom columns - but break as soon as I attempt to add the mapping. Wondering whether I'm doing things in the correct order, or need to replace the default part template with a part already containing these custom properties?

The part number column discrepancy was basically caused by me trying to save time - I generated their numbers but then had to modify some of them to bring them into line with the overall naming system. It doesn't seem to be an issue...

Really hoping I can get this to work as I'm looking at needing 20+ custom families created this year!

Message 6 of 14
cwhetten

It's not necessary to replace the template.  If the custom property doesn't exist in the template, it will be created automatically when the part is generated from the family table.

We just went through a round of mapping some custom property columns for a huge pile of families.  The first attempt didn't go so well, and we kept getting the error you describe (Unable to create component).  But we tracked the source of the problem to an improper assignment in a VBA macro we were using to do the mapping.  Are you using a macro to do the work, or are you mapping each one manually?

Try mapping just one column at a time to see if you can narrow the problem down to one of the columns.  I wonder if there is a problem with creating a custom iProperty called material when there is already a property called material (just a guess).

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 7 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: cwhetten

@cwhetten wrote:

I wonder if there is a problem with creating a custom iProperty called material when there is already a property called material (just a guess).

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

I just tried it on one of our existing custom part family tables.  It published with no errors.  I was hoping it would fail because this sounded like a good solution to me.  I still can't recreate the error over here, so I have no ideas at this point.  Sigh.

Message 8 of 14
cwhetten

@cbenner wrote:

It published with no errors...

The error the OP mentioned doesn't occur during publishing.  Did you try placing a component in an assembly?  The error happens when Inventor tries to generate the part from the family table, and this happens when you place a component in an assembly.  You might have to delete any local copies of that specific part in your Content Center Files folder, otherwise it might just use the existing local file instead of trying to generate a new one from the table.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 9 of 14
cbenner

Wow, that one blew by me.  I assumed the OP wasn't even getting that far.  I've seen the "Unable to Create" error in the past while attempting to publish.... just assumed that was the problem.  let me try placing a part and see what happens.

EDIT:

I was able to place several previously ungenerated parts from a family where Material was mapped as a custom iproperty.  Verified that they did not already exist in the CC folder.  These were never before used parts. 

I noticed in your family table Excel file there is a column named Bolt_Material... how is this one mapped?

Message 10 of 14
axemanjon

Just to confirm the error doesn't occur on publishing the table, it's when placing the component. As these are new families there aren't any existing ones on my C drive or in the Vault to cause an issue?

Thanks for setting my mind to rest that the custom property should be created within the template if mapped.

I'm setting up the tables / mappings manually, as I'm not a programmer. Wish I was able to automate it somewhat!

My additional mappings as follows:

Model_Name -> Member.Display Name    (this seems to cause no issues)

Bolt_Material -> Custom.Material

Item_Description -> Custom.Item_Description

The standard "Material" property isn't mapped to anything, as we haven't yet decided on/defined a material library.

Message 11 of 14
cwhetten

Hi axe man.  Don't worry about my comment concerning deleting existing parts from the C drive.  That was directed toward Chris because he was testing some of the scenarios.

Since you are mapping multiple columns, try mapping each column one at a time, and try placing a component after each column is mapped to see if you get the error.  This way, we may be able to narrow the problem down to one column.  Post back with the results of the tests.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 12 of 14
axemanjon

Hi again

Thanks for that, I've tried taking it step-by-step as you suggested and the problem does seem to be arising when mapping to Custom.Material - everything else allows creation without an issue.

Unfortunately this means I'm still stuck - I have no idea why the current system works for the parts we already have when it won't for new families!

Any ideas as to whether this behaviour is designed to prevent some sort of issue?

Message 13 of 14
cwhetten

OK, I think I may have found the source of the problem.  I notice that your family table (at least the one you posted above) has a "Material" column that is probably mapped to the property "Project.Material", and it also has your "Bolt_Material" column that you are trying to map to "Custom.Material". 

When I try to map a custom property to "Custom.Material", it immediately borks the mapping on the Material column AND the Bolt_Material column.  The mapping of both of them changes to "Member.Display Name".  Trying to place a component when the mapping is borked like this results in the error.  Trying to fix the mapping on the Material column results in the mapping just wiping to nothing.  You have to change the mapping on the Bolt_Material column to something other than Custom.Material in order to get things back to working order.

So, I don't know WHY it behaves this way, but apparently you can't have one property mapped to Project.Material and another property mapped to Custom.Material in the same family table.

Why exactly do you have both columns anyway?  Wouldn't just the material column do the trick?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 14 of 14
axemanjon

Thanks for the info Cameron! I've managed a solution for the minute now. Looks like I'm stuck with either the part material (and thus mass properties) being incorrect and having the custom property, or vice versa!

We're hoping to get around to fixing up a proper Materials library at some point at which point I can re-direct the mappings, although I don't really fancy having to re-generate the entire content centre....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report