Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Container Volume

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jimb01
425 Views, 4 Replies

Container Volume

Is there any way to have Inventor calculate the empty volume of an assembly? A simple example would be a 3 part assembly consisting of a hollow tube with plates on each end creating a sealed area inside the tube.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Jimb01

Yes, several methods. You forgot to attach your assembly here to get the best suggested method.

New component, Copy Face as Surfaces, Sculpt (or stitch) is one method that comes to mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
Jimb01

I have used that method before. The example I spoke of was a VERY simplified example. The volume we need to derive is on a very complexed group of components that would take just about as long to make surfaces and stitch them all together as it would to manually calculate the volume.
Message 4 of 5
JDMather

> very complexed group of components...

Derived Component comes to mind.

Shrinkwrap comes to mind if you need shutoff surfaces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
dan_inv09

Is it fully closed?
(I had some old pipe coupling and plug parts that were modeled using some funky thread dimensions so there was a "leak")
I just make a block bigger than the assembly and derive subtracting the assembly then delete face with the "lump or void" option to take away all that's outside. You might also need to go through and get rid of some other stuff - the space between the end of a bolt and the bottom of the bolt hole and stuff like that but it's probably not going to be that big of a factor if you just need a rough number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report