Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact set not working with adaptive spring?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
draftsman3
1160 Views, 6 Replies

Contact set not working with adaptive spring?

I added an adaptive compression spring to an assemble so that it would display properly in various positions, but now my contact set no longer works?

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any tips?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: draftsman3

Make sure your compression spring isn't part of the contact set.  Or, create a driven constraint that moves the planes (or parts - depending on how you have made the adaptive spring) that drives the spring open and closed between limits - then you won't need the contact set at all.

Peter.

Peter
Message 3 of 7
ravikmb5

@draftsman3 wrote:

I added an adaptive compression spring to an assemble so that it would display properly in various positions, but now my contact set no longer works?

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any tips?

Adaptivity wont work with Poisitional Representation

This has been reported to autodesk from many years

but Development team havent paid thier attention here

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 4 of 7
draftsman3
in reply to: ravikmb5

Thanks ravikmb5,

So they just can't co-exist right now?  That's sure what it looks like.  Even if I supress the spring, my contact set doesn't work anymore.  Only if I delete it from the assembly do I get the contact set to function.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Adaptive allows part geometry to deform during assembly constraint solve, i.e. the geometry can change between solves. While, Contact only handles rigid bodies. As a result, the two concepts are mutually exclusive. However, an occurrence of an Adaptive part can be made Contact Set, where the adaptive part itself cannot be made Contact Set.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
draftsman3
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks johnsonshiue,

I understand that the same part cannot be both adaptive and part of a contact set, but I do not understand why you cannot have both types of parts in the same assembly.  Mutually exclusive concepts within the same part - totally logical, but not being able to have anything adaptive with a contact set in an assembly, not okay with that.

Always room to improve the product right?

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Maybe I am missing something but I don't quite understand the behavior you are talking about here. Are you saying when there is an Adaptive part, other Unadaptive parts cannot be made Contact Set? I am not seeing the behavior. Could you attach an example here or send it to me.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report