Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact Set grayed out

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Karol-Or
1931 Views, 5 Replies

Contact Set grayed out

Why is a part in an assembly not enabled for contact set? on right click the Contact Set option is grayed out, but that part was in contact set for another part already. i made some changes in the part, maybe that's the reason, is it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Karol-Or

Attach the assembly here.  (delete all but two parts)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Karol-Or
in reply to: JDMather

Attached.

Open the file ... 19(3)

Message 4 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: Karol-Or

I cannot open the assembly not on your version where I am at.

Do you have adaptive in any of the parts or assemblies you are trying to use contact set on?

If you do this is why..

Message 5 of 6
SER4
in reply to: jletcher

My subassembly is NOT Adaptive, but it is Flexible (Overridden in order to allow the appropriate movement that I'm testing for contact); "Contact Set" is also greyed out for me for this subassembly.

If I make a new Positional Representation with no flexibility, I am able to check Contact Set.  And then I can switch back to another Pos. Rep., and the checkmark will still show, but will be greyed out, and it appears that the actual Contact Solver is not working properly...😣

I guess this doesn't help anyone much, except maybe to point out that Flexible subassemblies appear to not allow Contact Solving.

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).
Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SER4

Hi! I think there is a bit confusion here. In terms of Contact Solve, a flexible sub is different than a non-flexible sub. A non-flexible sub is like a group of rigid bodies moving together. So, it makes sense to set the whole thing as a Contact Set.

Flexibility designation is instance based. It means the same sub definition can have flexible instances and non-flexible instances. In a flexible sub, the sub itself loses its meaning. All the components within the flexible sub will be solved together with the upper level components.

To make a Contact Set in a flexible sub, you need to edit it in place or open the sub in its own window. Then make all components within the assembly Contact Set. It should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report