Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
mariont55
Message 1 of 23 (572 Views)
Accepted Solution

Construction Circle in drawing

572 Views, 22 Replies
02-04-2014 06:39 PM

Common way to dimension depth of a conical surface in drawing is to dimension it over construction ball. I have construction circles in my model sketch. How can I make them available in drawing to dimension to ? Or, is there a better way to accomplish this ? See attachments.

Create a new view rep in the ipt
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 23 (554 Views)

Re: Construction Circle in drawing

02-04-2014 07:08 PM in reply to: mariont55

Retrieve model sketch into drawing

or

Sketch in drawing.

Attach your Inventor files here if you can't figure it out.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
charles
Message 3 of 23 (527 Views)

02-04-2014 11:09 PM in reply to: JDMather

I have a very similar problem I try to put a dim on a skeched symbol in idw. but I still cant seem to find a way how to do it?

Has anyone had to deal with this? If any solutions are available ?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 23 (508 Views)

02-05-2014 04:53 AM in reply to: charles

charles wrote:

I have a very similar problem I try to put a dim on a skeched symbol in idw. ..

That sounds like a very different problem to me?

Attach your files here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
dan_inv09
Message 5 of 23 (470 Views)

02-05-2014 09:58 AM in reply to: charles

charles,

Sketched symbols are different. Have you ever dimensioned a dimension? Do you need something welded a certain distance away from the title block?

You might be able to copy your geometry while editing your symbol and paste it in a sketch on a view.

Have you searched the forum? I think this has come up before. You may need to look into "AutoCAD Blocks" instead of Sketched Symbols.

Contributor
mariont55
Message 6 of 23 (440 Views)

02-06-2014 03:57 PM in reply to: mariont55

JD,

I figured out how to retrieve model sketch into drawing. But I can't figure out how to display the sketch, or any parts of it. There are a couple of constructin circles in the ID Profile of the model. I'd like to display them in my drawing. I need to dimension depth of the cone in form of dimension from nozzle shoulder to the top of larger circle (gage ball).

Models are attached.

Valued Contributor
CAG_DRAFT
Message 7 of 23 (426 Views)

02-06-2014 08:44 PM in reply to: mariont55

MODEL_SKETCH.png

First Step is to "Get Model Sketches" which it sounds like you have done.

Second step is to expand the part-tree, select the sketch you want to show and changes its visibility.

(I think the visibility is linked to the skecth status in the part when you place the view.)

When I made that image the sketch was invisible in the model and I had to set it to visible in the drawing, I just deleted the view, turned on the sketch in the model and re-placed the view, upon getting model sketches this time the circle was immediatlely visible.

Contributor
mariont55
Message 8 of 23 (405 Views)

02-07-2014 04:52 AM in reply to: mariont55

I'm still having trouble with this. In the model, I don't see where "make sketch visible in drawing" is. If I right click on the model sketch i can only turn on the "visibility". Is this what you're talking about ? In drawing I see where "get model sketches" is and I did that. But, In the drawing mode I don't see the model sketches in the browser. I can't quite make out your pasted picture (too small) to see what you're trying to show. Please take a look at my attached pictures and figure out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe a more detailed step by step how you do this would also help. I'm new to Inventor so please forgive me if I'm slow at this.

Contributor
mariont55
Message 9 of 23 (397 Views)

02-07-2014 05:44 AM in reply to: mariont55

Just a thought ...

In the drawing you can "get model dimensions". This is pretty useless option if you ask me. For example, I can get model sketch dimension that is pointed to a construction circle (my gage ball). However the construction circle does not display in the drawing. So this dimension in a drawing is just hanging out in space pointing to nothing. It would be much better if there was an option not to "get model dimensions" but "get model sketch features" This way one could select any part of the sketch including construction circles, points dimensions, etc. This would be very useful . Seems to me that software people live in their own world without ever consulting customers (users). I'm new to the Inventor and I'm already getting pretty frustrated ...

Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 10 of 23 (383 Views)

02-07-2014 07:59 AM in reply to: mariont55

Seems to work for me. Note that the sketch has to be normal to the view you want to show it in.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.