Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints on a Friday

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mcreeder
146 Views, 6 Replies

Constraints on a Friday

This is a weird one, but i wonder if anyone else has had this. I am working in an assembly, and i am bringing in a small lug to constrain to a hole in a concrete block. I brought 3 of these lugs in earlier in exactly the same way without a problem. The hole in the concrete is not in the part, but produced in the assembly, but when using the insert constraint tool between the two holes (concrete and lug) with a brand new totally free unconstrained part, i get an error saying i have conflicting constraints. If i change to the aligned form of insert then it works fine. So basically, the part constrains in axis, but will not rotate 180 degrees to constrain with the face of the concrete. The part is not adaptive, or have any i-mates or anything, its just 2 extrusions, 3 holes and a thread.

Now to see if it would constrain to something else, i constrained it to the end of another lug (same orientation as i want to constrain the new one) and it work perfectly, constraining both axis, and rotation 180 degree to mate the faces. I then edited the constraint and selected the hole instead of the old lug and it constrained as it should. Great i thought, little odd, but its fix isn't it??? Well no. The lug was vertical and i want it horizontal, so i put in an angular constraint with another part of the assembly, and it would move, as yet again it was conflicting, but this time in the 3rd plane.

What have I done? Have i switched something on i am not aware of or is Inventor having a joke with me??? I have tried re-booting the machine and its still the same, i have deleted the part and brought it back in, and no change.

Any ideas???
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rstadler
in reply to: mcreeder

Is anything adaptive?
Message 3 of 7
mcreeder

No, the part i am constraining is not at all adaptive.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Sounds like a good candidate for the dead chicken treatment... mcreeder wrote: > No, the part i am constraining is not at all adaptive.
Message 5 of 7
mcreeder

what the cluck is the dead chicken treatment?

I dunno, friday afternoon problems, answered by friday afternoon people. hehe. Sorted it now anyway.

The concrete blocks i had put holes in were patterned from above, and it didnt like me editting elements of a pattern.
Message 6 of 7
KevMat

I had a similar incident with fasteners a while back. I cannot remember the exact circumstances but I DO remember it has something to do with patterns. I had several patterns of fasteners and when I tried to add another fastener, totally unrelated and unconstrained to any other fasteners, I got a massive amount of errors. I had to actually delete all of the patterns and re-constrain all of the fasteners. I had to forego the patterns and just used (1) of each fastener and modified the parts list accordingly. As mentioned, I never figured out why this happened...
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Voodoo man, voodod... mcreeder wrote: > what the cluck is the dead chicken treatment? > > I dunno, friday afternoon problems, answered by friday afternoon people. hehe. Sorted it now anyway. > > The concrete blocks i had put holes in were patterned from above, and it didnt like me editting elements of a pattern.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report