Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint will not update

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Robbertklompe
1277 Views, 13 Replies

Constraint will not update

Good day every one,

So this is the situation.

I was working on an assembly a couple of weeks ago.

And after I opend it again yesterday all of the sudden when I would change a constraint the assembly's wouldn't move.

It is like everything is grounded.

But this is only in the main assembly. When I go to a subassembly every thing is just fine.

I hope some one has an idee of what is going on.

If you want to see some screenshots please ask.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi Robbertklompe,

I think the most common cause for this is that some error exists in one or more of your models. If, in the assembly, you go to the Manage tab > Rebuild All button, you can sometimes force the error to show itself. Sometimes, however this doesn't work.

The error might involve one of the parts, possibly a sketch within the part. So some digging around will likely be required.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 14
blair
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Show Sick Constraints was introduced in IV2014, Icon in the Contraints Tab, if it's not grey'd out you have a bad constraint. It will show the bad constrain in the model window.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 14

Hi! Purely based on the description, I can think of two causes leading to the behavior. 1) Maybe Assembly Defer Update option is on (Tools -> Application Options -> Assembly -> Defer Update). 2) The constraint system is in failed state (there are existing failed constraints).

If neither of above applies to your case, please post an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
Show Sick Constraints was introduced in IV2014, Icon in the Contraints Tab, if it's not grey'd out you have a bad constraint. It will show the bad constrain in the model window.

Small correction.. "Show sick" Is in the "Relationships" section of the "Assemble" tab. (for Inventor 2015 anyways)

I guess "constraints" just wasn't "PC" anymore. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 14
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

Programmers with Job Security 🙂

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
Programmers with Job Security 🙂

Exactly!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 14

Thank you 

What I discoverd though is that I cane move components when I'm not checked in to the Master position. But as you probably know you can't constrain in a different position. But it is a clue of what the problem might be.

Message 9 of 14
Robbertklompe

Thank you Curtis_Waguespackblairjohnsonshiue and mcgyvr for your quik reply.

Although I tried the sugested solutions, it did not help.

I also tried to throw out the assemblys one by one to eleminate a bad assembly but this also did not help.

What I discoverd though is that I cane move components when I'm not checked in to the Master position. But as you probably know you can't constrain in a different position. But it is a clue of what the problem might be.

If there would be no other options I am probebly going to build a new main assembly.

But still thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 14

Thanks for the quik help.

I tried the sugestions but sadly with no results.

What I discoverd though is that when im in an ohter position view I can move parts again but when Im back in the master position I am unabel to move.

So maybe this is a good clue to what the problem could be.

Message 11 of 14

Hi! Could you post an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 14

I am sorry johnsonshiue but the folder hiërarchie get's messed up when I pack and go so you would not be able to open it.

Message 13 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: Robbertklompe

Any imported or non-Inventor created parts in there?

Have you tried suppressing parts and then see if it works? A "bad" part can cause weird issues.

Message 14 of 14
Robbertklompe

Yes I do have some step files in it.

I tried to suppres the assemblys but it did not help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report