Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint Virus?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rjones0215
861 Views, 7 Replies

Constraint Virus?

For 3 or 4 days now, 90% of the time I place a mate or flush constraint, it automatically offsets to some random direction and I have to reset to zero.  Anyone know what might be causing this?

Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: rjones0215

I have never seen this behavior.

Is this with 2013?

Do you have Predict Offset enabled?

Can you attach an assembly here that exhibited this behavior (accept the offset constraint - don't reset it to zero).  Only need the parts that are constrained.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

In the constraint dialogue box you have ticked the box with an image of a ruler next to it. When ticked if faces are parallel the dimension they are offset by is automatically placed in the offset box.

Regards

Martin 

Inventor 2023
Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you show me an example by providing Inventor files or a video? What release of Inventor are you on?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
rjones0215

Ha.  Yes, I must have clicked the "Predict Offsets" box.  I didn't even know if was there.  It's unchecked now and everything seems to be back to normal.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Then it should have been 100%  in your original problem description.

Watch out for this one as if your parts are already close to alignment you might not even notice the offset and this is one of the few setting changes that persist after leaving the dialog (I think even after leaving a session of Inventor - but I would have to check on that).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
rjones0215
in reply to: JDMather

I believe you are correct.  In the future, I will be more cautious of this.

Message 8 of 8

It does persist across sessions (I normally have it turned on). It does only work when the mating faces are aligned though, if there is any rotation then the value remains zero.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report