Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint locks object

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JoelMckone
9332 Views, 14 Replies

Constraint locks object

When I add a single constraint to an object it locks in into position.  Also, non-related constraints are causing error messages (for example inserting a screw is causing an error in a flush constraint in non-related parts).  I had issues with this in the previous release of Inventor but have not had a problem with 2011.  This problem just occurred today - attempts to delete problem parts and rebuild the assembly does not resolve the issue.

Any suggestions as to the problem?

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dan_inv09
in reply to: JoelMckone

Suggestions:

1. Too much adaptivity - turn as much adaptivity as possible off (unless the latest constraint is supposed to affect it, it should not be adaptive at this time.)

2. Daisy chained assembly - Let's say part A is grounded and part B is constrained to it, then part C is constrained only to B, and D only to C etc. It's got to figure out each constraint and how it affects each other constraint and after a while it just gives up and parts you place don't want to move. Temporarily grounding some stuff near where the new stuff is going sometimes got it to work when I used to have this problem.

Message 3 of 15
blair

Look for a bad contraint somewhere in your assembly. It could be in a sub-assembly as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 15
JoelMckone

Rather than chase through all the constraints I have decided to rebuild the object (sliding window) in a new assembly (I changed the frame parts to a new profile which created the constraint crash).  Now if I add a constraint I cannot move the object, however additional constraints will work to properly align the object.  I seem to remember this happening before as well and it was a matter of a setting being changed but of coarse I cannot remember where of if this was in fact the problem. Have you experienced this issue?

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 15
JDMather

Zip and attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
JoelMckone

It won't let me send the file at 3.2 MB, I am trying to eliminate as much stuff as possible but still keep enough stuff to demonstrate the problem.

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

Roll up the EOPs to make the ipts smaller before zipping.

I suspect you should be able to isolate the problem to two or three parts in the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
JoelMckone

Attached file.  Oddly enough I can't even get the constraints to work on these three pieces even though I had assembled it earlier in the day.  All that is missing is a flush constraint so that all the parts line up.

This project seems to be the only one that will not work.  Other window (larger) window drawings still work fine.

Message 9 of 15
blair

Works fine here

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 15
JoelMckone

Problem seems to be rooted in bad frame drawings at the cad level.  I redid the vendor drawings by tracing the section outline using P-lines.  When these were extruded and imported into the assembly all the previous issues vanished and the window will now function properly.  

Message 11 of 15
maximebouch

Better just delete all constraints then

guys there is a common language we can use

Message 12 of 15
Walenciak_Ross

Sounds great...

but I have no idea what that means.

Message 13 of 15

Hi! Joe found the workflow to free up the components. It sounds like there was some sort of corruption in his frame subassembly (skeletal). Then he recreated and and it helped resolve the issue.

I am not sure if your issue is exactly the same as his. This is a very old thread. The issue may not be relevant now. Could you start a new thread and describe the issue you are seeing (attach the files if possible)? We can take a look to see how we can help you better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
jdg072
in reply to: dan_inv09

@dan_inv09

Daisy chained assembly - Let's say part A is grounded and part B is constrained to it, then part C is constrained only to B, and D only to C etc.

I  tought this was the only correct way to constrain things. What if you consrtain parts just "in the wild" instead of "to it's previous and next part" Who is (maybe except yourself) ever going to find the constrains if the assembly needs modification.

Message 15 of 15
dan_inv09
in reply to: jdg072

Did you read the rest of that at all?

Yes, that is the correct way to do it, but when you've got 10 or 20 things in a row and any movement at all in any of them means your computer has to recalculate the locations of every single one of them Inventor is going to bog down.

If you temporarily ground a portion of it that shouldn't be moving it should allow you to keep working.

[Personally, I would see it as an opportunity to remind your boss that the engineering department needs regular upgrades to its equipment, and minimum requirements just doesn't cut it. That might take at least a few days if you think that's the only solution (plus, it's not guaranteed to be enough).]

Of course you could have the OP's problem where one of the parts is screwy. You don't have anything translated from some other software or anything, do you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report