Distinguished Contributor
android_mike
Message 1 of 5 (353 Views)
Accepted Solution

CONSTRAINS NOT WORKING

353 Views, 4 Replies
04-06-2011 02:17 PM

Hello:

im constrains are not working at all... i try to constrain someting and it will constrain it but not move the part. constrains.jpg

Do you have defer updates on in Application options or in Document Settings? Try to constrain something then hit the update button and see if that works. What you highlighted is only the preview function.

Hi android_mike,

If you look at the screen grab you provided, you'll see a checkbox called Predict Offset and Orientation. Uncheck this option and I think you'll be back in business. With this option selected the offset value for the constraint is gathered from it's current position and applied to the input box. Meaning that when you select two components that are 50.035 mm apart at the present time, then the constraint is applied with a 50.035 mm offset value. You can edit the constraint and set the offset to zero for any existing constraints that have accidental offset values.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

As Breemum mentioned.... if you go to Application Options > Assembly Tab and see 'Defer Updates' checked, then the Preview button will be grayed out. If you want to see the constraint preview, then Inventor needs to be able to run updates real-time. If it can't do that, then it can't display the preview.

Active Contributor
Breemum
Message 2 of 5 (348 Views)

Re: CONSTRAINS NOT WORKING

04-06-2011 02:23 PM in reply to: android_mike

Do you have defer updates on in Application options or in Document Settings? Try to constrain something then hit the update button and see if that works. What you highlighted is only the preview function.

Distinguished Contributor
android_mike
Message 3 of 5 (346 Views)

04-06-2011 02:26 PM in reply to: Breemum

I did the constrain and hit the update and it worked that preview button use to be checked and not its shadowed out. did i do something or change something that i dont know about?

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 4 of 5 (338 Views)

04-06-2011 02:37 PM in reply to: android_mike

Hi android_mike,

If you look at the screen grab you provided, you'll see a checkbox called Predict Offset and Orientation. Uncheck this option and I think you'll be back in business. With this option selected the offset value for the constraint is gathered from it's current position and applied to the input box. Meaning that when you select two components that are 50.035 mm apart at the present time, then the constraint is applied with a 50.035 mm offset value. You can edit the constraint and set the offset to zero for any existing constraints that have accidental offset values.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Valued Contributor
ToddHarris7556
Message 5 of 5 (335 Views)

04-06-2011 02:38 PM in reply to: android_mike

As Breemum mentioned.... if you go to Application Options > Assembly Tab and see 'Defer Updates' checked, then the Preview button will be grayed out. If you want to see the constraint preview, then Inventor needs to be able to run updates real-time. If it can't do that, then it can't display the preview.

Todd

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012 / Subscription
Win 7/64
Dell Precision 670 / 8GB NVIDIA Quadro FX4500
Dell Precision M90 / 4GB NVIDIA Quadro MX2500
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!