Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cone Refold Adding Bogus Surfaces

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wengerbryan
1191 Views, 9 Replies

Cone Refold Adding Bogus Surfaces

We're seeing strange behavior on all of our workstations when using a Refold feature on a sheet metal cone.  Surfaces are (very incorrectly) being added at the top and bottom openings of the cone when the Refold feature is added.  Is anyone else seeing this or does anyone have any clues what is causing it.  The behaviour is the same whether using Contour Roll or Revolve.  The surfaces dissappear when the cone is revolved to a lesser degree, such as 200 degrees instead of 359.  The cone can be revolved to 360 degrees and ripped but that raises a whole nother problem because Inventor does not correctly refold a 360 ripped cone.  Any input?  File attached.  By the way, the surface artifacts show up in the flat pattern as well.

Inventor 2012 SP2
Vault Collaboration 2013 SP1
Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3503 2.4GHz, AMD FirePro V4900
Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM
Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: wengerbryan

This looks like one for the Inventor QA folks.  I tried a slightly different modeling method, making the contour flange a full 360° and adding a Rip feature (makes the gap even).  Unfolded easily, refolded easily, but the refold was a completely bizarre mess.  Much worse than yours with the apparent caps on the ends, it was only a partial cone with a bunch of strange angled surfaces attached.

I also tried modeling it using your sketch, but instead of the contour flange, I revolved a surface and thickened it, ripped it, then tried unfolding and refolding-- no joy.  This time I got about an eighth of the cone back, and not from the edge that I had designated as stationary.

Anyone else have a try at it?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

There are techniques (requiring a trick) that do not require unfold/refold.  In the Unfold condition put the geometry that sent you there in the first place and then I'll show you the alternative technique that will work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
wengerbryan
in reply to: JDMather

In this particular case the user was needing to cut a pattern of round perforations in the unfolded condition.  You can just cut any true round in the flat condition on the file I attached earlier to demonstrate your technique.  Also, when did this behaviour start happening?  One of the service packs?  Inventor definitely hasn't always been this way.  Why doesn't it work to Unfold/Refold after a Rip feature?  I'm meeting with Imaginit about it this morning.  Thanks,

Inventor 2012 SP2
Message 5 of 10
JDMather

@wengerbryan wrote:

1.  You can just cut any true round in the flat condition on the file I attached earlier to demonstrate your technique.  

2. Also, when did this behaviour start happening?  One of the service packs?  

1. Don't know what this means?  I have never used Unfold/Refold - I prefer to use Project Flat Pattern and Cut Across Bend
2. Looks like a bug in Inventor to me. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 10
wengerbryan

I am always ready to learn, JD, could you take the attached file and create the pattern of cutouts using the workflows you have refered to and attach it to your post.  By the way, adding the perforations brings to light other issues with the refold feature, the hole pattern is not correct on the refolded cone.  Thanks,

Inventor 2012 SP2
Message 7 of 10
JDMather

Is the design intent for the perforations to be circular in the flat or in the rolled part (cannot be both)?

Note - if the design intent is for circular in the rolled part then the punch (can't be drilled) will have to be elliptical shape.

Message 8 of 10
wengerbryan

The design intent is for the perforations to be circular in the flat which is the reason for unfolding and cutting in the flat.  Most of our cutouts are true round in the rolled part and we don't use unfold/refold for those.

Inventor 2012 SP2
Message 9 of 10
wengerbryan

Any more input on this one?  I was hoping to learn something new regarding the statement below:

Spoiler
 I have never used Unfold/Refold - I prefer to use Project Flat Pattern and Cut Across Bend

Is this a method that can be used on the sheet metal cone I attached earlier?

Thanks,

Inventor 2012 SP2
Message 10 of 10
JDMather

I've been busy - will try to get back to this one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report