Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compund Miters and Notching Sheet Metal Joinery

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ContraJame
779 Views, 5 Replies

Compund Miters and Notching Sheet Metal Joinery

I have no formal training on sheet metal in Inventor.  I'll walk you through what I've done and what I'm after.

My first piece was at the top transition of my model.  I couldn't remember how to extrude from/to multiple surfaces so I created a single piece, mirrored, mirrored, and then joined to create a single extrusion with compound miters on both ends.  I then converted it to a sheet metal part and added bends.  I set the sheet metal standard to 1/8" aluminum to match my part.  It didn't go exactly as planned but I got my end fabs mostly correct and bends in place.  For some reason there's a funky triangular excess of material that didn't get bent.

The next stop was to add the sill transition pieces.  Due to the two different angles of my skylight the elevation requires two different shapes.  I made sure the faces aligned to create a proper water trough.  The confusing part was trying to once again extrude to multiple surfaces.  The bottom and top flanges of each shape ideally would notch around the other shape to create a nice assembly to seal up.  Right now I have holes.

The last piece, and in my opinion the most complicated, will be the hip joint.  I've created the shape of the brake metal.  How I'm going to get from that sketch of the shape to a brake metal extrusion that goes from a plane at one end to multiple surfaces at the other end I have no idea.

Any advice on how to achieve my goals would be appreciated.

Any general sheet metal advice would be appreciated.

And if you see any redundancies or areas of opportunity for improvement in my model tear it apart as well.  I'd love to improve.  This model took me roughly 8 hours and I still haven't added any shear blocks, fasteners, or anchors.

Inventor 2012

And I realize now that my part is 2.5mb after pulling the end of part from bottom to top of the tree.  I guess that means I can't upload it here.  Not sure what good the assembly file will do without it.  I can provide images if that would help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ContraJame
in reply to: ContraJame

I uploaded my part file to google docs for reference:

Relevant Part File

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

I can't download the file? but from the image this should be way under 1.5 meg even without rolling up the EOP.

Did you right click and zip after rolling up the EOP?
The file limit size is much larger over here http://www.augi.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
ContraJame
in reply to: JDMather

I didn't test my link.  It turns out google docs can't handle unsupported file types.  However, it can handle .zips so I've packed the project.  Hopefully this works better:

Slope Project

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

http://www.augi.com allows large zip files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
ContraJame
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

I attempted to cross post over on AUGI but it seems my topic is still waiting moderator approval hours after I submitted it.  Can you confirm that you're not able to access my most recent link to the packed zipped project file?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report