Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compound Angles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
brett.daughtrey
3904 Views, 5 Replies

Compound Angles

Please help.  I am struggling to correctly make a part with compound angles.

In the attached drawing the dimensions are what I want but I have had to edit them to be correct.

I can make a plane for the first angle, but am then not able to rotate that plane (or revolve a sketch on that plane) around an axis that does not lie on that plane?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: brett.daughtrey

Check this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
brett.daughtrey
in reply to: JDMather

Thankyou very much for this. Smiley Happy

I've managed to reproduce it, allthough it will  take some time for me to digest your solution properly.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: brett.daughtrey

@brett.daughtrey wrote:

..... take some time for me to digest your solution properly.

All I did was sketch the angles on the four faces of the part (since one face was inclined - I created sketch on opposite face and then used Split to project to the inclined plane).  Basic geometry.  Then knowing that any 3 points define a plane I created the planes.  I assume that there is a good chance that all 4 angles didn't need to be defined to create the planes - but this showed the results were same as original pic you provided.

Alternatively I could have used Lofts to cut rather than create the workplanes and Splits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Just went back and looked again and realized that the solution might look complicated on first look, but it is really very simple.

First I oriented the model according to the leftmost view in your post.
Created that sketch line at angle and then rotated to the next side and continued.
The only confusing part is that because one face on your part was inclined - I put both lines in one sketch on one side and then used Slice to project to inclined plane.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
brett.daughtrey

I can see now that it is quite simple.

Basicaly drawing the angles on the faces & cutting away.

I am quite new to Inventor & have never used the split command before .

Thanks again for your speedy responce.  It may have been simple but I was still in a hole.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums