Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compound angled hole in ipt

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tj2057
733 Views, 4 Replies

Compound angled hole in ipt

Hi all,

In the attached part, I am trying to show a hole drilled at a compound angle. I have attached a pic of what the part is supposed to look like. I am having trouble laying out the plane on a compound angle. The hole should be centered on the width of the flat and drilled through. 15° angle one way and 20° another way.

The ipt file attached is really messy in attemps to acheive the compound angle. Please feel free to offer any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I can't seem to wrap my brain around this.

I am using Autodesk Inventor 2013.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Jeffers
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
HPZ210 workstation
Xeon CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz
16GB RAM
64-bit
Inventor Professional 2015, 64 bit
Build 159, 2014RTM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: tj2057

This may or may not be the BEST way to do it ... but this is a way to do it.

Ignore the errors in the file about the missing iLogic rule, if you get any.

I use Sketch 2 and Sketch 3 to lay out the two angles that I need, from a common starting point. 

3D Sketch 1 has an intersection curve bringing Sketch 2 and Sketch 3 together to give me the axis of the hole, which then gets a work axis dropped on top of it.

Because the hole will not be drilled normal to a plane, I set a work point on the upper face of the cylinder, then a hole feature using the ON POINT option.  Use Work Axis 1 to define the direction of the hole - you may need to flip direction.

Because you're not starting normal to a face, you'll have a little bit of material left at the top of the hole.  Delete face + heal will take care of that. 

Use a circular pattern, then you're done.

Edit: Ah crap - just realized you've got 2012.  My file attached here is 2013.  😞

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi!!

All you have to do is create a axis with de correct direction.

For achieve this axis (A) you have to do some work features.

1-     Begin by create two axis:

Create axis 1 selecting the sketch point (you already have this point) and the plane xz.

Create axis 2 selecting the sketch point (you already have this point) and the plane xy.

2 - Now you will create two angle planes:

Create plane 1 selecting the axis1 and the plane xy, give the 20 degrees (or 110, or another equivalent, depends the direction you chose).

Create plane 2 selecting the axis2 and the plane xz, give the 15 degrees (or 105, or another equivalent, depends the direction you chose).

3 - Now create the final axis you need:

Create axis selecting the plane 1 and plane 2.

4 - Create a construction point:

Select the sketch point to create this point.

You can see all the construction elements in the browser in the image below.

h1.png

5 - To create the Hole.

Select the tool “Hole” and select hole by POINT.

Now select the construction point and the AXIS A. Chose correct direction and deep.

6 – you have to adjust the hole.

Use delete face with the option Heal and chose the face in the image below, click OK and that’s it!!

h2.png 

Sorry, I don’t have INV 2012 installed so I can’t send you the model, but I hope you can do this with this explanation.

Regards

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
tj2057
in reply to: CCarreiras

Many thanks for your concise explanation. Very detailed. This helped me very tremendously.

Mike

Mike Jeffers
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
HPZ210 workstation
Xeon CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz
16GB RAM
64-bit
Inventor Professional 2015, 64 bit
Build 159, 2014RTM
Message 5 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: tj2057

Hi!

I use a lot this "Hole by a Point", the question is that little portion of material that remais above... 

Was a good improvement if Autodesk solve that question in next versions... Autodesk Techs... take a look on that...

Glad to help, bye.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report