Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Derive Template

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ifsi
247 Views, 4 Replies

Component Derive Template

Component Derive Template.

Does anyone know how to change the default template that inventor uses when you invoke the 'Component Derive' command?

Component derive is an excellent command, but when i use it, the part has different material property and custom parameters that i created in my standard templates are missing. so i'm assuming that inventor is using another template for this command.

Thanks in advance.

Ian Schell
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jdavis417
in reply to: ifsi

I'm guessing here... Application Options<<< File tab<<< Default templates... You may have to edit one of the "Default" or "Standard" templates to get this command to do what you want. Oh yea, and there's a reference to Templates in the Projects under Folder Options.

While we're guessing... how many fingers am I holding up???

Good Luck,

other JD
Message 3 of 5
ifsi

Thanks for the response JD, you would think so ... but no...

I have changed the templates location in application options to point to my own customised templates (still with the original 'standard.ixx' names) ... and for 60% of what i want to do (new - file) it brings up my templates and that is all fine. Its only when i invoke the 'Component derive' that for some reason it uses other templates.

And the project is set to default location which refers to the path defined in Application options.

I have even gone to the trouble of editing (replacing) inventors standard templates in the program files location, and still it seems to be using some bare bones template missing my customizations.

Anyone from Autodesk know whats going on here?

Cheers

Ian Edited by: ifsi@iinet.net.au on Nov 1, 2009 12:13 AM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Ian,
It appears there is some problem with the command itself. While the texture
of the part derives correctly, the physical property returns to Default one.
The correct Material can be selected again but the custom properties are
wiped out. It happens using either workflow - with the Component Derive from
assembly or Derive Component in a new part.
Don't know the solution for this one but.
Regards,
Igor.

--
Web: www.meqc.com.au
www.boatworks.meqc.com.au
wrote in message news:6281629@discussion.autodesk.com...
Component Derive Template.

Does anyone know how to change the default template that inventor uses when
you invoke the 'Component Derive' command?

Component derive is an excellent command, but when i use it, the part has
different material property and custom parameters that i created in my
standard templates are missing. so i'm assuming that inventor is using
another template for this command.

Thanks in advance.

Ian Schell
Message 5 of 5
shekarsub[Autodesk]

For component derive, we don't use any template. Please observe you have to create a new part first. For this whatever template you specify you can use it by clicking on it.

Material cannot be derived today from source. So you should be able to specify material before or after the derive in the derived part.

Color is derived from source. Derived follows the source for color. If you don't like this behavior you can edit the derived and uncheck the "use colors from source component" or something to that extent. I think we introduced this in R2010. You won't find the checkbox in previous releases. After this you can go to each derived feature and select whatever color you want the body to show. Thanks.

Regards
shekar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report