Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex Shape to create in Inventor... Possible / Push me in the right direction

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
OliverTat
3006 Views, 11 Replies

Complex Shape to create in Inventor... Possible / Push me in the right direction

Hello Users,

Firstly, sorry I'm still learning!

I have been asked to re-create this shape (attached below) which was previously created by hand,

I need the 3d model as I will be sending off to be made from a 5Axis.

I am so stumped as to where to start, thought I would ask on here as I'm sure the wealth of knowledge can push me in the right direction/ have a go to show me how to do this.

Kinds regards

1762i7D57A73159183DC8

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
OliverTat
in reply to: OliverTat

Any ideas?

Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 12
stephengibson76

there are companies that specialize in 3d scanning, some of them often advertize in the magazine below

http://www.develop3d.com/

I wouldnt attempt to do this with inventor if you are trying to match an existing but if its a new product somebody on here may be able to help

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 12
Dennis_Jeffrey

This can be created in later versions of Inventor that have the Sculpt command

I'd look at making this the same way you would carve it.  

I'd use the following commands:

Surface modeling for the petals.

Sculpt to cut away the material

Circular patterns.

This is not a project for inexperienced 3D users.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 12

I agree with Dennis (honestly, you'd be a fool not to, generally), this is not a trivial challenge.

I have only 5 years inventor experience, and almost none in surfacing, and I reckon there might be 3 or 4 hours work in that.

Maybe you could model the petals and leaves as parts, along with the "core" as another part, then assemble them, pattern the leaves and petals, and the created a derived part.

In general, you try to break each task you get down to the simplest elements, and build them the best way you can, knowing where they sit in the bigger picture.

Of course, your first step, given that you are wearing "L" plates, is to read everything Prof JD Mather has written.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

If you are a student you might look at Alias for Inventor.

http://engineersrule.org

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
synapse709
in reply to: JDMather

I am by no means an advanced user of inventor, but looking at the model, I would do it in the following way:

I would first before starting make a reference geometry that gives me a border of where to place the separate parts as I work. So you would first measure the dimensions of the part and then create a shape that outlines the shape roughly to get a close estimate of the original scale and dimensions.

1. Use digital calipers to find the exact height of each row of pedals

2. Draw the outline of the base and revolve it. 

3. Create a new part and model a single petal of the bottom row of petals (there are many ways to create this shape so it is up to you to find what is best). I would also make each petal extra thick on the inside so that the rows above seamlessly blend into the lower geometry when doing the following steps.

4. Place it at the correct distance and upward angle from the center point of the base, then use circular pattern to make the correct number of petals around the base.

5. The next rows up look quite similar to each other so you could probably just model another single petal from the second row, and continue placing them and circular revolving them for the final shape.

6. The top will probably be the hardest, but I would place a sphere at the top, then place a third, again separately modeled, petal design around the top, blending with the geometry of the sphere.

If you do it this way, I can imagine it would take 2-3 hours and the results would be quite close to your image. It all depends on how accurate you want to be to the original. Using a laser scanner would of course be the best, and I know there is an open source project that you simply download some software, hook up 2 cheap web cams, and you get a quite high quality scan when using a lazy susan to place the model on and rotate it while scanning.

Just my 2 cents. Like I said, I am not an expert but I feel this method would be easier than the other proposed.

Good luck

Message 8 of 12
sam_m
in reply to: synapse709

dumb question, but did you check the date before posting?  I'm hoping the OP got resoved and isn't still waiting 2.5 years for an answer. Cat Wink

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 9 of 12
synapse709
in reply to: sam_m

Haha, yes... I knew that the original user probably wouldn't see my posting. However, I found this by searching to try and learn better ways of creating complex shapes and I am sure others will do the same. I was looking for really complex connected curves, and when I saw this I couldn't help but respond. Hopefully other will see it and perhaps it will benefit them in some way.

Cheers

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:
 I was looking for really complex connected curves....

Something like this (done years ago in Inventor).

Complex curves.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
synapse709

Yeah! That is the kind of tutorial I was looking for. I am trying to do something that requires alot of complex shapes, then connecting those shapes to cylindrical surfaces by either loft or fillet. 

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

You might check out the tutorials here.  (most of the are older, the Vacuum tutorial is the most up-to-date)

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report