Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex shape - lofting and unfolding?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jdmech
2731 Views, 12 Replies

Complex shape - lofting and unfolding?

I am trying to do a fun project of designing a small R/C electric airplane (P-51) using 1/4'' foam sheet.

So here is the question - Is it possible (using Inventor 2011) to loft a complex shape, probably a lofted surface, thicken it to 1/4'' and then "un-fold" it? Or is this unfolding tool exclusive to a sheet metal part? Basically I want to model up the fuselage shape with complex bends and curves, then "unfold" it flat and print out a cutting template. Any body have any similar experiences with this approach?

Thanks - jdmech

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: jdmech

Maybe.  Maybe not. Probably not!

I frequently use standard tools rather than sheet metal tools to do things that can't be done with the sheet metal tools (and then convert to sheet metal to flatten).  But there are a few rules you have to be aware of.

If you get stuck - attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
jdmech
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your reply JDmather - 

I have tried a couple of tests but nothing has really worked. The difficulty lies in the work flow.

For example: Start a new part (.ipt) Then create 5 or 6 parallel work planes stacked in a row. (Like a sandwich).

Space them about 2 inches apart from each other. Now create a new sketch profile on each plane. This is the same way someone would design a boat hull with 'stations' or cross-section profiles. Now loft a surface from one end to the other, creating a boat hull (or in my case - an airplane fuselage). So now my goal is to thicken the surface and then be able to flatten that complex lofted shape. I've tried starting with a flat shape and using the bend tool to simulate the curvature but it doesn't really do a good job. If you cold expand a little on some of your brief thoughts i would appreciate it.

Regards - jdmech

Message 4 of 13
sam_m

I'm about 90% sure (not used sheet metal in a while) that it can only unfold items that have a bend in 1 direction only - so a cylinder or cone are fine but a bulge, spheroid or boat-hull won't.  Basically, it can't deal with anything where the metal/material has to stretch/deform to make.

think that's the case, but (as said before) not used sheet metal in a while so could be wrong.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 13
CAD-One
in reply to: sam_m

I would agree with sam_m. Any formed shape ( Like a dimple, embossed, deep draw etc) cant be flattened.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 13
jdmech
in reply to: CAD-One

Darn - Ok - thanks for the confirmation gents. Appreciate it - Guess it's going to be a standard panel and box style build with lots of simple, flat profiles.

Regards - jdmech

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

2010 and 2011 will allow Lofted Flanges, but you have to plan how to create these for something like what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 13
jdmech

JDmather -

I certainly appreciate your attention, prompt response & experience with Inventor. I do, however (with all do respect), - question your repeated vague, undefined statements. They have not actually served the purpose to answer the original question or provide any help, guidance, or creative input with this particular discussion.

regards - jdmech

Message 9 of 13
JDMather

@jdmech wrote:

JDmather -

I certainly appreciate your attention, prompt response & experience with Inventor. I do, however (with all do respect), - question your repeated vague, undefined statements. They have not actually served the purpose to answer the original question or provide any help, guidance, or creative input with this particular discussion.

regards - jdmech

Inventor is a professional program and deserves a professional level of training. 
Other than that post, concrete examples here and someone will help you work torwards a workable solution.

Post vague statements of, "Can Inventor do this?" and you will get vague responses of yes, maybe, probably not.

Would you like me to work up a free example explaining step-by-step of what I "think" you want to do.  When I get several days free time I'll get right on it.  The people here are volunteers.  Post what you have so far.

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

....hmmm just searched around a bit and I can't find an example of a single part file you have posted, so I have no idea of your level of experience and how much detail should be included in a free tutorial to show you how I would solve your problem....

Can you go through this one and post your solution http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Fillet/td-p/2575126

and then this one

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/sweep/td-p/2708481

...that should be several hundred dollars worth of training.

Then I'll find a sheet metal example posted here in the past that should get you started on directly solving your specific problem.

Message 11 of 13
jdmech

Wow - absolutely perfectly stated.

Sadly - I would have expected that kind of adolescent, snotty rant from the 'comic book guy' on the Simpsons.

Not from a person such as yourself. Not entirely sure what your social malfunction is, but it really is not necessary or appreciated here. You might seek a "professional" to help you with that. And by the way - the other links you provided just prove my point about your pompous attitude and tone.

You have stated a couple of times now "... this is a professional program and deserves a professional level of training."

So I ask you Mr. Mather - Where is your professionalism? Is this kind of behavior becoming of a Professor?

you don't need to waste my time or yours by answering that - 

Message 12 of 13
JimmyDoe

^^I know it's old, but very well put.

Message 13 of 13
johnteng00
in reply to: JimmyDoe

For any engineering problems, there should be the solutions. To unfold the loft shapes, there is no math equation for it, however, there are many approximation equations that you can use to unfold them. In solid3dtech, there is a unique solution to this issue. Many people already have used the software from solid3dtech.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report