Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Kyle_Schwindt
245 Views, 6 Replies

Compatibility

Hi, I use Autodesk Inventor 2015, and my school uses Inventor 2013, I was wondering if there is anyway to convert or make the files compatible, so I can go home and edit the files, then return and open them at school.
-Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sam_m
in reply to: Kyle_Schwindt

welcome to the forums 😉

you can go downstream but not up.

2013 will open in 2015, but once saved as 2015 it will not open in earlier versions.

The only work around is to save the models as a "dumb solid" with stp, igs or sat (through the "save as" command) and then import into 2013, but you will lose the entire feature-tree, so you can't edit extrusions, and tweak things.

why does it do this?  say a new command is added in 2015.  2015 can open a model no problems knowing that if it contains this command it can process it.  But 2013 was released before this fancy new command was programmed - so how can it wrap its head around opening data calling up this command?!?  So, the only way around is to strip out the commands and have the model as a 3d dumb part - but, that ruins any chance on "working" on the same part at home and work/school.  I hope that all makes sense.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: sam_m

The best solution is to simply install 2013 if your school uses 2013.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Kyle_Schwindt

You might let your school know that they can now get Autodesk software for free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
Kyle_Schwindt
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did, they would need to actually pass it through the district board, get the update approved, which I would be amazed of that happend, because the system is carefully and percisely created, & they probably wouldn't do it because some kid can't downgrade his documents from home. Thanks though!

Message 6 of 7
Kyle_Schwindt
in reply to: sam_m

Thank you, this helped a lot! 

Message 7 of 7
Kyle_Schwindt
in reply to: mcgyvr

I just might, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report