Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

common assembly for use in multiple projects - best practices?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
schnautza
819 Views, 4 Replies

common assembly for use in multiple projects - best practices?

I recently figured out that I can save a common part such as stairs, ladders, handrail, etc. as a part template file...then by using "create" and selecting the part template, all I have to do is throw in a couple dimensions and parameters to customize the part. This seems like a very logical way to centralize the use of common parts that are used in multiple projects.

So say I have an assembly that I want to use in multiple projects...in this case, it is "iMike" (the 3D person - several of you use him).

I tried to save that assembly as a template and included all of the parts in a subfolder in my templates directory, but when I try to insert it, it tries to look for all of the parts in my project location instead of the templates.

Is there a better workflow...other than just copying all of the assembly files into every project I need? It seems like Inventor should have a "Common Files" directory for these types of applications.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
spackle42
in reply to: schnautza

We have a common folder called Inventor Libraries where files like this are stored.  Just make sure you add it as a library to any projects and you can use any parts in the folder or sub-folders.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 3 of 5
jtylerbc
in reply to: spackle42

Library paths are a better way to handle this, as spackle42 indicated.  Library file paths are Inventor's way of making "Common Files" directories.  They require you to set them up, but that requirement also allows you control over how they are located, named, and organized.

At my company, I have set up a series of library folders that allows sharing of the models between projects, and breaks them up in an organized way.  The two main ones are the "Component Library," which houses models of purchased parts and subassemblies, and the "Scenery Library," which contains models primarily used for dressing up scenes for rendering.  My iMike is stored in the Scenery Library.

Message 4 of 5
schnautza

Perfect - this is exactly what I needed!

Message 5 of 5
Namoi1

Justin

I've put all my purchased inventor items, i.e. gearboxes in a folder outside my project, when I try and add this location to the project libraries I get the attached message, the path is highlighted red and the "librarys" heading in the project stays grey so I don't think this works.

What am I doing wrong

IV2015

using IV2015
C-H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report