Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command "Replace Family Template"

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AutodeskDG2015
768 Views, 7 Replies

Command "Replace Family Template"

Hi,

Could you explain me how can it use the command "Replace Family Template"?

Thank you in advanced.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
salariua
in reply to: AutodeskDG2015

In order to get it to work you need to place and edit a member of that family.

First place a part of that family as custom somewhere you can edit it (not a libray or read only folder) and after doing all the changes you can use "replace family template" in Content Center to update the family.

For some reason you can't just start new part and use it as family template.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: salariua

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 8
AutodeskDG2015

Hi Salariua.

I'm sorry, but I can't replace family template.

Could you give me an exxample please?

Thank you in advanced.

Message 5 of 8
lesmfunk
in reply to: mcgyvr

I get lost at #1 in the link:

1."...open the template part file."

As far as I know, that actual existing template file is not accessible. All you are doing is creating an instance from the library and editing that part, if necessary, then uploading it as the new template.

I get confused by talk about this so-called "existing template".

Message 6 of 8
salariua

Say you need to modify a content center family of a bolt.

1. Have you made a copy of the family component ?Go to Manage/Content Center/ Editor and do a copy of that family in your library (the default ones are read only, so you need to copy it to your read/write library)

2. Open an assembly and place a bolt from your family (the copy you just did in your read/write library) as custom in a folder that's not read only (use desktop or similar)

3. Open and edit your bolt.

4. Go to Manage/Content Center/ Editor and replace the family template with your modified file.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 7 of 8
AutodeskDG2015

Hi,

I'm sorry but does this command allow me to edit the geometry of the model or no?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Message 8 of 8
LT.Rusty

@AutodeskDG2015 wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry but does this command allow me to edit the geometry of the model or no?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Yes.

If, for instance, you didn't like the existing hex bolts that ship with Inventor, and you wanted them to be Penta bolts instead, this is what you would do:

1.  Create a new read/write library and make sure that it's active for your project.  (Do this from the projects window.  There's a pull-down in the bottom right corner that only has one button on it.  Go there, create a new read-write library, make sure the box is checked, and then save your project.

2.  Create a new assembly or part file, doesn't matter which.  Doesn't have to be anything in it, but you have to have a part or assembly open to access the content center editor.

3.  In the content center editor, find the family that you want to change.  Right click and select "Copy to" if you want to use only the new library, or "save copy as" if you want to have access to both.  (If we were creating penta bolts, you'd probably want to save copy as so you could keep your hex bolts.)

4.  Make any changes necessary to the family table / description / etc. from within the content center editor, then close it.

5.  Hit the "I" button, and use OPEN FROM CONTENT CENTER to open a member of the family that you've just edited.  Open it as CUSTOM, not standard, and save it someplace easy to find later.

6.  Make any edits you like to the geometry, but do remember that you need to use parameters that are included in the table if they're going to be different.  In our Penta bolt example, you won't need a parameter to control the number of sides, but you will re-use the head size parameter to control the size of the new penta head.  So, edit your sketches as necessary ... but remember the parameters.

7.  Save your edited part file.

8.  Go back to content center editor, find the family you're editing.  Right-click on it and use REPLACE FAMILY TEMPLATE, using the edited part as the new template.

9.  ????

10.  PROFIT!!!

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report