Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command alias input

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
3674 Views, 15 Replies

Command alias input

I've installed Inventor 2015, in the past I’ve always used "C" as a keyboard shortcut to place constraints in the assembly environment. When I typed “C” in 2015 nothing appeared to happen. I looked down at my status bar to see what info Inventor gave me and noticed I now have to toggle between<Center Point Circle> & <Constraint>, then I noticed that in all environments the Sketch tab is available on the ribbon, even when I’m not in a sketch. I’ve started a sketch in both part and assembly environments and when I type “C” sure enough <Center Point Circle> command is started as expected. Anyone else had this problem? Can I turn the Sketch tab off and have it be context sensitive like in the past? Short of changing my constraint or circle alias I have no idea. My main goal would be getting <Constraint> command to work in assembly again using "C" and "C" still work in sketches to start the <Center Point Circle> command. Any help would be appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

I just tried my 2015 ... and hit the C key and up popped my Constraints box. Could someone has changed the short key on that pc?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi purkey,

I think the setting you're after is here:

Go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > General Tab > Prompting Interaction area, and uncheck the "Show autocomplete for alias command input" check box and/or "Show command alias input dialog" 

Show command prompting (Dynamic Prompts) check box .

Application Options - General tab

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-721143C6-67AA-4EDA-B98A-C8E45955D332

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 16
mdavis22569
in reply to: mdavis22569

I see what you meant ... You'll need to go to your Tool's Tab and then Customize and adjust it from there

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I did open a coworker’s customization and under keyboard his <Center Point Circle> command is set to Crtl+Shift+C, but then I opened my Inventor 2014 version, and I have had both <Center Point Circle> and <Constraint> set to “C” for years. The only thing that different from 2014 and 2015 is that the Sketch tab is always available in 2015. Which means both commands are available at all times. Where as in 2014 Sketch tab was a context sensitive and only available in the sketch environment. I guess I’ll have to get use to using my marking menu more or switch one of the two over to Crtl+Shift+C.

Message 6 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi purkey,

Did you check the Show command prompting (Dynamic Prompts) check box setting I mentioned in the Application Options? The behavior you describe sounds like what you'd see if that option is selected.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yes, it was already off. I even tried turning it on and same problem.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Did you figure out how to fix this? or did you just change one of the shortcut keys? I'm having the same exact problem using C for constraint and circle. "Sketch tab always available" is a new "feature" added in 2015. Seems like the issue could be related to or caused by that. The command prompting checkbox doesn't seem to do anything different if it is checked or not.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

I had to change circle back to its default of Crtl+Shift+C. I agree, it seems the “Sketch Tab” always being available is what’s causing the problem. Maybe in a future hotfix they will allow us to decide whether or not we always want “Sketch Tab” available; because truthfully, I see no advantages to it always being available.

Message 10 of 16
NeilClasby75

I've noticed at least several popular alias commands have gone. Circle, Fillet, etc.  Seems odd as these are core CAD commands used the whole time.  For those who prefer the old clean-screen approach with keyboard shortcuts its a bit of a pain.

Message 11 of 16
elmer-ellis
in reply to: NeilClasby75

I've noticed the same thing with C and circle / constraint. Another one I haven't seen mentioned yet is T for Text. Hit T while in a drawing and it now activates a sketch and then starts your text. Before, T would activate text like it does under the annotate tab.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: elmer-ellis

Bump.

I'm having the same difficulty. Checking or unchecking "Show command prompting (Dynamic Prompts)" has no effect.

Even having the sketch tab always available I see no reason the keyboard shortcuts shouldn't be context-specific as they were in the past (I finally installed 2015 after stikcing with 2011 so I have much to get used to). In the case of "C" for circle, I would expect a circle to appear if I'm in the sketch tab or if a sketch is active, and I would expect the constraint dialogue if I'm in an assembly without an active sketch.

I'm just digging into the new version working on something today and I must say this is a signficiant source of frustration.

~Justine

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Bumping this again. I've always exclusively used the C key for both Center Point Circle and Constraint, and having to change my workflow is always annoying.

Way to go, Autodesk. Once again you've taken a simple, quick workflow and made it longer and more frustrating.

Message 14 of 16
Baishihu

You may try

go to Customzie, uncheck "use default multi-character commander aliases".

Regards,

Baishihu

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Baishihu

I don't think that addresses this issue. I've always had it unchecked. By this point I would guess most people have gotten used to their changed shortcuts to work around it.

Message 16 of 16
eamonnmcstravick

I think the problem occurs when you have a positional representation active.

Return to the Master Positional Representation and Constraints should return to normal with the 'c' shortcut key active.

I hope this helps..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report