Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Sketch Points

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3661 Views, 13 Replies

Combining Sketch Points

Hello,

I am working on an Inventor model and I get an error that says I need to combine some sketch points to clean up the model.  The only thing is that I can not figure out how to combine the sketch points through the UI.

Please help.  I am thinking this is easy; however, I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

thanks,

Matt

mwhitten@hydro-int.com

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach the *.ipt file here.

Let me guess - you used a circular sketch pattern.  Almost always not the best technique.

The Sketch Doctor should combine the points for you - but it will be necessary to see the sketch to be sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I did not use a pattern.  I was referencing the origin on multiple other sketches for dimensional purposes.  Let me try the sketch doctor to see if they can fix it for me.

thanks,

Message 4 of 14
tabsha

Hello to all

I am having problems in creating an extrusion of a sketch which I imported as a .dxf file. It imports OK but it does not appear to be a single sketch, but a whole bunch. Can someone enlighten me (and others) who may have this problem? Thanks for everyone's help.screenshot.jpg

Message 5 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: tabsha

Can you attach the dxf file here, or at least the ipt file?

Did you set Inventor to use coincident constraints on import of the dxf?

I see Splines where I would expect to see primitive lines and arcs.

On something this simple - I think I would simply do it over correctly from scratch (rather than use Splines).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 14
tabsha

Thanks for your reply. Please find attached the .dxf file.

I have not set the coincident constraint on import as I don't know how to do
that. There was no option to do that in the import dialog. Please indicate
where to set this option.

Thanks very much again. Its driving me crazy..

Adel

Message 7 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: tabsha

Apparently dxf is not permitted as a file attachment type.

Right click on the dxf file.

Select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Message 8 of 14
ecsuka

JDMather, I am curious about why a circular pattern is not the best technique. I am 3D printing some objects of constant width and I am not sure how to make it with a better technique. I make one arc and then create a circular pattern. I know that the geometry is correct and all of the arc endpoints would connect. I don't know how to tell inventor to close the loops. I know sketch doctor can do it, but I am wondering how it could be done manually?

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ecsuka

Hi Guys,

There is a technique to help mitigate the situation without having to manually fix the constraints. You can use Boundary Patch command and create a patch surface based on the selected sketch geometry. Then you can create yet another sketch on top of the BP surface and project the edges. In most of the cases, the resultant projected edges would form a closed profile.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

Attach *.ipt file here.

It is almost always better to Pattern Feature rather than sketch elements.

Message 11 of 14
ecsuka
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnsonshuie,

Thank you. Your boundary patch workaround technique worked.

I would still like to know how to close the points myself if possible....it seems like it should be possible, no?

Message 12 of 14
ecsuka
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thanks, TheCadWhisperer. I see what you are saying about patterning features instead of sketch elements. I have tried several times to attach my .ipt file, but it doesn't seem to work. Below is a picture of my sketch after I ran sketch doctor. I would like to know how to close the loop myslef without needing sketch doctor.

ocw5.jpg

Message 13 of 14
kelly.young

@ecsuka you can RMB on any line and select Close Loop.

CloseLoop.png

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 14 of 14
ecsuka
in reply to: kelly.young

Thank you kelly.young , that worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report