Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining dimensions

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gnick
1079 Views, 1 Reply

Combining dimensions

To simplify our hydraulic manifold drawings, I am trying to find a way to have several hole dimensions shown in the same dimension or hole note. Is there a way to do this?

I know that the hole note will cover the dimensions for a hole but some of our holes have as many as 4 other drillings in addition to the top one. For example:

Drill dia 6mm x 70 deep

Drill dia 8mm x 58 deep

Drill dia 11.8 x 17 deep

Tap 1/4"BSPP x 14 full thread

Spotface dia25 x 1 deep

The last 3 lines are covered by the hole note but can I incorporate the first 2 using actual dimension values rather than text? We have had problems with values not being changed to reflect the changes to the model with rather expensive consequences!

Cheers

Nick

gNick
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
sam_m
in reply to: gnick

yes, I've done this in the past, but it's not instantly obvious if you're using hole notes...

create your hole note with the top line of text, will be something like:

"Drill dia <HDIA>mm x <HDPT> deep"

place the hole note as desired.

right click and choose "text..." to get the text editor box and will be a single grey entry with <<>>

under this you need to add the other details but use the Parameter drop-down to select the diameter/depth/etc, select the desired precision and place with the "add parameter" button (helps to have the parameter names noted beforehand).

By mixing static text and the parameters you can get the desired result you're after (see the attached image).

Whether this can be done within the hole note dialog box, not sure as I can't remember seeing an "add parameter" option.

Hope that helps, Sam

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report