Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colours not updating in IDW

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
KevinPinks7697
5693 Views, 20 Replies

Colours not updating in IDW

Hello, I have just installed IV 2013 Pro  and I am having some issues with changes in the IPN transferring to the IDW. I changed the colour of a part in an assembly which transferred fine to the IPN, but the IDW did not update. I have tried turing off the visibility of the part in the browser in the IDW, then turning it on again, selecting the associative icon  in the drawing view dialogue box, but still the view will not update. I even tried re-inserting the IPN in the IDW, still the colour had not updated. Is anyone from Autodesk listening, as this is unaccepatable. I do not have time to re-create all the IPN's. There must be another solution?

Dissappointed

Kevin

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Kevin,

Can you please check on the defer updates in document settings.

Select Document Settings from Tools Tab  ->  Check Defer Updates (upper left corner) on Drawing Tab.

Bob Holland

Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 21
blair
in reply to: bob_holland

Have you installed all the SP'sfor IV2013 as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 21

Hi! The behavior does not seem right. Could you check something for me? When you said you changed the color in the assembly, what is the active Design View? Was the IPN associated with the Design View? Could you try creating a new view in IPN without an tweak and then create a Drawing view? Is the color up-to-date?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 21

Hello, I do not use Design Views, I just updated the part in an assembly, which was a very slightly different part which was also a different colour. The scene (IPN) updated OK ,but the IDW did not update!

Thanks

Kev

Message 6 of 21

I checked my installation and I have Service Pack 1.1 and Update 2

Message 7 of 21

Kevin,

Can you please check on the defer updates in document settings.

Select Document Settings from Tools Tab  ->  Check Defer Updates (upper left corner) on Drawing Tab.

Bob Holland

Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 8 of 21

Why would I want to check "Defer Updates", as I want the view to update?

Message 9 of 21

Kevin,

Could you post an example exhibiting the behavior here or send it to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 21

There may be instances where you are working with a team on a large assembly that you are referencing.

Every time someone would save their part of the assembly it would want you to update your drawing set because it knows that the assembly that you are referencing now out of date.  If you have a dozen people saving every twenty minutes to sub-assemblies or to the master assembly, you may be prompted to spend most of you time trying to keep the document updated.  If you are principled enough to diligently turn it back on, you will not be prompted to constantly update your files, particularly if you know that no one is changing what you are documenting.  This is how it can get turned off and not turned back on.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 11 of 21

Thanks Bob, but I am the only one who uses Inventor here

Message 12 of 21

File is too big to send Johnson

Message 13 of 21

I can set up a secure account for you to upload. Please send me an email so I can set up the account.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 21

Message 15 of 21
Fori123
in reply to: blair

I am having a similar issue in PDS2015. My IDW does not match my IAM file. I have everything in the same path, defer updates is not checked and i have tried to do a rebuild all multiple times. The IDW will not update to match the IAM.

Message 16 of 21
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Fori123

Hi Fori123,

One thing to check is this:

Edit the drawing view and ensure that the Associative check box is selected:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 17 of 21
bkoide
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

I found this solution work, if that link button is not working. 

1.) open ipn

2.) highlight or click part in question that isnt updating.  Just click the part, you dont need to do anything with it. 

3.) save ipn

4.) in idw turn color view off and un-click associative view, then click ok

5.) turn color view back on and re-click associative view, then click ok

I also found sometimes that highlighting the view and then clicking update works sometimes, inventor is weird sometimes. 

Message 18 of 21
ssonimac
in reply to: bkoide

Worked like a charm, thanks man.

Message 19 of 21
carlo.vanschalkwyk

Wow this worked, than you so much! I've been struggling for so long! Can someone from Autodesk please comment on this. I would like to find a permanent solution. My assemblies have 50-100 parts and I dont want to follow this procedure for all.
Message 20 of 21
Slambo

This needs to be marked as a solution as well, as I just tried this in Inventor 2015 and it worked great.

Thanks for the tip dude.

@bkoide wrote:

I found this solution work, if that link button is not working. 

1.) open ipn

2.) highlight or click part in question that isnt updating.  Just click the part, you dont need to do anything with it. 

3.) save ipn

4.) in idw turn color view off and un-click associative view, then click ok

5.) turn color view back on and re-click associative view, then click ok

I also found sometimes that highlighting the view and then clicking update works sometimes, inventor is weird sometimes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report