Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color of mirrored part

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
shaney
777 Views, 11 Replies

Color of mirrored part

After switching to 2009, I can't figure how to really change the color of mirrored parts. I can change it in the drop down box but it only changes the edges, not the whole solid color. Can I adjust a setting somewhere so I can make the mirrored parts a completely different color?

I like to do this so I don't keep accidentally editing the mirrored part.

Inventor 2009 Intel (R)
View Sonic VP920 Series on 91.36 NVidia Quadro FX3500
Sata Drive
Dual Core Chip
Pentium (R) D CP 2.8 GHz
2.79 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2
Space Pilot
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
gabriel.lengyel
in reply to: shaney

I can change color of mirrored component in assembly the same way as for the other components. Can you give me more details or attach descriptive screenshot?

Thanks,

Gabriel.
Message 3 of 12
shaney

The jpg shows a part and its mirror. I opened the mirrored part and changed its color to red but only the edges (lines) change to red. The rest remained teal.

I can change it's color at the assembly level, but I used to could change its color at the part level so it stayed a different color. Now I can only get the edges to change color.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

IV2009 Pro

I have verified this behavior. It is not possible to change the surface color using the color dropdown, or by changing the material and using color "As Material" within a derived part.

This is definitely a bug.

I read on this NG at some point that it may have been planned to link the iProperties, and color of a derived part back to its parent using the Derived Part dialog. However, it is not yet implemented.

AFAIK, it was possible to change the surface color of a derived part in previous versions.
Message 5 of 12
shaney

I can get used to the color changing of just the edges to distinguish between the mirror and the base component. I'd prefer having a setting to decide whether to change the color of the whole part though.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

>I'd prefer having a setting to decide whether to change the color of the whole part though.

yes, I agree. It should work this way unless the user specifically links it to the orginal part (but there is no setting for this now).
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

to expand on this bug, here is a picture of a derived part with the color set. Notice that when a feature is added, the faces affected by the feature are set to the part color, but all other surfaces stay the same as the original derived part.

Again, this has to be a bug. ADSK, care to acknowledge this?
Message 8 of 12
gabriel.lengyel

Hi Shaney, Josh

I notified responsible person about your find. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards,

Gabriel.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

This is a known issue. The work around is to change the color in the
derived part. Open the derived part and expand the derived node in the
browser and right click on the Derived Body. Select properties. Change the
Feature Color Style to the color you want.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Rich Willis (Autodesk)

wrote in message
news:5971394@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Shaney, Josh

I notified responsible person about your find. Thank you very much for your
feedback.

Regards,

Gabriel.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

thanks Rich, couldn't find the setting before
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Rich, can this be fixed in a Hotfix? I think the desired setting for most users would be:

- the derived part material set to the same material as the original
- the feature color style in all derived bodies = As Part
- the surfaces in the derived part = As Feature

now it is taking extra steps to set this up "correctly". It seems that overriding the derived body feature color or surface colors would be a special scenario, not the default.
Message 12 of 12
shaney

This workaround is not sticking. The mirrored parts are eventually changing back to the parent part color after a few updates or saves, etc. Am I missing something?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report