Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color changes Inventor 2013

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
pieterhuyck8342
10891 Views, 12 Replies

Color changes Inventor 2013

I’ve installed Autodesk 2013 last Friday.

It looks great, but Inventor changed the Colors and Materials and that’s not fun.

This is a rendering with inventor 2013.

The profile right is designed in Inventor 2012

The profile left is designed in Inventot 2013

They have the same colors.

Entire profile is Aluminum flat and the tops are Aluminium polished.

Color_problem.png

Does anyone know what I can change?

Thanks

Regards

Pieter

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pieterhuyck8342

Select the faces you want to change, then right-click and select properties.

You can then set the face appearance.

Or you can select the faces and then change the appearance in the appearance drop down list.

Message 3 of 13
-niels-

Did you update the color styles in your 2012 file?

(function is on the manage tab > styles and standards block > update)

Inventor 2013 ask if you want to update to the new manner of color management, but doesn't necessarily update the existing colors afaik.

Nice looking profiles btw. Smiley Happy

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 13

Dear John,

The top-faces already were in the Aluminium Polished appearance.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Message 5 of 13
pieterhuyck8342
in reply to: -niels-

Dear Niels,

The styles were up to date.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Message 6 of 13
mrattray

2013 doesn't migrate the colors right. Just clear any overrides and redo them as needed. It's a PITA, I know, but that's all I've been able to figure out myself.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 13
bobvdd
in reply to: mrattray

Can we get a small data set please?

You mention "render". Is it because you only see this in Studio Render?

You also did not mention if you use Shaded view style or Realistic view style.

I also hope you are at the 2013 Update1 level.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 8 of 13
hunt
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:

2013 doesn't migrate the colors right. Just clear any overrides and redo them as needed. It's a PITA, I know, but that's all I've been able to figure out myself.

This is actually something that I think we need to do at our office.  We've got a style library that I think we need to recreate from scratch.  Any suggestions on the best way to tackle this task?

Message 9 of 13

We've created some expanded documentation to provide more guidance on the new materials and appearances tools.  I've attached it here, and am in the process of getting it uploaded to Autodesk.com.  It should clear up several of the questions that have been raised on this board around this enhanced functionality.

Thanks to Chris Mitchell and Bill Bogan for writing and reviewing the content.  Please take a look and provide feedback on the documentation usefulness.

In addition, we've updated the wikihelp files with this information as well.

FAQ Part 1

FAQ Part II

Data Migration > What’s Changed in R2013

Data Migration > Inventor 2013

Data Migration > Migrate Color Styles to Appearances and Migrate Material Styles to Materials

Data Migration > Migrating Content Center custom materials and appearances

Manage Materials and Appearances

2013 Library Management Methods

Migration Mapping – Materials

Migration Mapping - Appearances

Pete Lord
Product Manager
Message 10 of 13
WHolzwarth
in reply to: prestonlord59

Thanks for some further clearance here, Pete.

I've searched the German Wikihelp for similar stuff, but I think, it still needs to be translated. I couldn't find anything until now.

Some kind of help for me is the comparison list between color styles and appearances. But it's not enough for localized Inventor versions.

I'd appreciate a comparison list in Excel as follows:

Color style name (engl.) - Color style name (localized) - Color look in 2012 (taken as screenshot) - Appearance name (engl.) - Appearance name (localized) - Color look in 2013 (as screenshot). I can sort that list in Excel to my personal needs.

Greatly important are those screenshots for me. Looking at your list, I can suppose, that old Yellow (dark) is looking the same as 2013 Yellow. But it isn't. And there are several others with a complete new look.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

It took me some time for making the attachment, but perhaps it's a help for other people, too.

That's what I did (see picture):

I opened on the same PC and same screen two instances of Inventor with a same sized part (1000mm x 200mm x 10mm). The above instance was German Incentor 2012, below was English Inventor 2013. After that I used your existing translation list from 2012 to 2013, colored the parts with these settings and looked at the results.

As an Excel list, you can sort after each topic, that you want.  In the list you can find different backgrounds:

Green: Transition is acceptable for me

Bright orange: Look has changed from 2012 to 2013, but is acceptable

Dark orange: Look has changed significantly, I'd vote for a re-work

Yellow: Color was existent in 2012, but no equivalent can be found in 2013

Moving through the list for 2013, I found many colors with only slight differences. I could think of putting all 224 colors into a common IAM, and building sub-assys with similar color tones. I think, after doing that and comparing the results in the sub-assys several colors can be discarded.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
signmeup
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I'm really struggling to find distinctive colours in this new list. A menu that was already bad is now made worse.

The colours are so dull. A selection I've looked at look nothing like the description.

"Unfinished"? Unfinished what?

I've made my own zinc chromate style in the past and it looked very realistic. This one looks rubbish.

Etc. etc.

I vote on the AUGI wishlist. I've never seen anyone wishing for this change.

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 13 of 13
hosford
in reply to: signmeup

It is simple, the guys at Autodesk are blind, and have no memory.

Each release has differences in the color/texture.

For a engineering program to be this bad on the basics, color and texture, is inexcusable.

the fact that we can add color to the surface, and texture is great, it allows us to show those who don't have a clue what we plan on doing, or what they have made us do, but it shouldn't be a whole project to do this.

If I want yellow, I should scroll down the list and find yellow, not some muted mustard color.

If I want black color, it shouldn't change the surface texture.

Talk about a hoot, try using the machining! Wow could we have something that looks like a machined surface?

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report