Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil Ends

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
671 Views, 2 Replies

Coil Ends

Hi All, 

I'm a bit of a newbie here - first post. 

I am trying to model a self reversing lead screw.Yesterday I created a cylinder with the appropriate coil cut, then projected the geometry of the face at either end of the coil, did a "revolve" cut of 180°, then created a counter rotating coil cut. This was all good except for the transition from the cut with no pitch, to the start of the coil and vice versa.

Today I discovered the coil ends feature to create a smooth transition from a helical to a zero pitch cut (Flat End).However Inventor doesn't seem to want to have two coil cuts with flat end (of opposite rotation) on the same part. I even tried generating the second coil with its own totally independent sketch, not using any geometry projected from the first. It will let me cut two flat end coils of the same rotation though. Any suggestions?

Otherwise Plan B will be to go back to a zero pitch cut, then increase the pitch of the coil over the first few pitches, and just fillet the corners.

Thanks in advance ,

Ryan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
salariua
in reply to: Anonymous

I have never designed a reversing lead screw so I might guide you wrong (I have just tryied to model one). Instead of doing a second coil would it help to mirror the first one ?

Capture.PNG

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

Hi,

Tried that - failed!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report