Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
timo.puska
3790 Views, 98 Replies

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

98 REPLIES 98
Message 2 of 99
mcgyvr
in reply to: timo.puska

Just use the darn ribbon already.. Its just fine.. You won't get hurt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: mcgyvr

LOL no you will not get hurt. Yes you will with all the clicks you have to do now your click finger is going to hurt like heck. Tust me mine is killing me click click click click click UGH...............

Message 4 of 99
mflayler2
in reply to: jletcher

I am sure the registry hack might still be availble, no they have not added it back to the colors tab of application options.  Personally, the ribbon is far better IMOP and I am more productive with it now than I ever was with the Classic UI and I have been using it since R4.  Granted I use shortcut keys and a 3D connexion mouse so my movement around the ribbon is perhaps not as much as other users.

For instance if you are going to the View tab to adjust your visual style everytime, then you have never seen the right way to do it with the Navigation bar.  That is first thing I teach engineers...how to make it better for them and common tasks.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: mflayler2

nope not for visual style.... To turn of work planes, sketches, section cuts. visual style I know that one 🙂

Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.  I do have 3D mouse love it had it for a long long time would be lost without it.

I would race any one, classic vs ribbon no shortcut keys.

Just give it back what is so hard about that.. Oh I know they want to force you to use it just like vault and muti users. No one used vault so we will force them by taking muti user out of Inventor unless you use vault.

Autodesk a long time ago cared what the user wanted no unless you have 100 seats plus they don't care...

And like I said when you come in the next morning windows will be just like apple one button mouse.. seee who cries now lol..

Message 6 of 99
mflayler2

I might take that challenge...but with a twist.

Take 2 new users of similar skill sets and teach them on both interfaces.  You will find they will lean toward the Ribbon.  I tried this on a couple of users two years ago (about 20 users over 5 different training sessions).

Oh! This looks like Office!  I feel at home here.  That is a big deal to a new user in the first 10 days of using the product.  You can't make everyone happy, but as your user base grows you tend to go more mainstream than hardcore user that has used it for a while.  You may have some adjustment to get used to, but the newer users can grasp it better.

From a business standpoint, if I have to program two interfaces compared to one...I will program to the one that is trending in the market for software adoption for a wider user base.  Even with the Classic UI support over the last 3 releases not everything was supported and was very poorly organized with the new commands that were added like the Mold tools.  The layout of the Ribbon for the Mold work is really straighforward compared to the Classic way of doing it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 99
mcgyvr

Couldn't say it any better than Marks 2 posts..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 99
Paul-Mason
in reply to: mcgyvr

EDITED after posting it looked confusing

I assume that you mean this registry hack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =1

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THIS FOR GOD SAKE BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY Then if it dose not work you can then restore the settings with out any worries

There is or there may be a chance of using this in 2013 to change the menu simply by looking for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =0

So the registry entry becomes

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =1

I've not got 2013 installed so can't say if it works. But having hacked the registry for other newer release programs the old hacks work most of the time if you remember to change the version name/number

There is a down side to this hack tough in that you CAN NOT customise the classic menu

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 9 of 99
Vlad.Makarov

Speaking from experience, you can switch with the hack but you will discover many bugs. The ribbon has magical properties & immediately transforms new users into modeling veterans. (According to what I keep hearing.)

jletcher

well thats would work but the two users are autocad users..

as far as a trend ok new trend everyone is jumping off the bridge you going to follow?

And trust me no one that I talk to anyway like it. The new office oh god you sould have seen my phone it would not stop ringing for help. Why did they change it was most of the cries and yet 1 year later they all still hate it their production went down and has not recoverd yet to this day because of the ne interface. Still they click on the wrong tab in the ribbon.

Sorry will never like it. Anything that cost me time I will never like if I could do things with one click its a lot faster than the 3 it takes now..

as far as molding don't do it so did not need that feature.

From a business point I would listen to my users not other software users. But again no one listens to the voice of one.

Oh oh now I see why you are trying to support the ribbon you are not a user of the software but a demo dude. That explains everything to me now..  You don't use Inventor you play with it. If all I had to do was play I would not complain. You don't have deadliines ort a boss breathing down your neck saying it didn't take you that long before..

Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog: http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/

You are nothing but a robot for Autodesk of corse you are going to defend them.

You sound like Leon from autodesk. Inventor can walk on water...

Message 11 of 99
Paul-Mason

It will be a similar hack for AutoCAD

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 12 of 99
mflayler2

Ha!  Demo dude.  I haven't done a demo in about two years.  I do actually train users to use the software and I do consulting work as well to actually make things, not just play.  Want to compare datasets?  Funny that you think you can know someone just from an assumption.  I deal with deadlines just the same as you do for delivering content and programming on a very high level with Inventor, not just the 10% you might see in a demo.

Your jumping off a bridge point is really bunk.  What you signify is that jumping off that bridge is a bad thing.  What you are trying to compare doesn't quite add up.  If the software that runs on my machine looks and feels the same the user experience between the software is easier to navigate for new users then that isn't simply follwing a trend, its good business sense to gain furthur adoption.  If your product is the unique product out of your competition and everyone already knew how to use your competitor's product, wouldn't you try and emulate to a certain extent to gain marketshare?  And of course others in your office are not going to like and get frustrated by it if they person they are calling to complain doesn't offer any advice on how to adjust to it.  Talk about poisoning the well.  Take a look at the other modeling software in the industry and see if anyone is hanging on to that old interface style...go ahead, I'll wait.  No?  Wonder why?

You clearly missed the point and have a very narrow field of vision.  Why would Autodesk listen to the voice of one if that one clearly don't understand the global dynamic and the different toolsets they need to provide and the adoption rate necessary to continue providing new releases and new feedback data.  You may not care for the Mold features, but a VERY large portion of China and Brazil do.  User adoption and ease of use is key.

If you assume I think Inventor is perfect then you are drawing judgements that just don't hold water let alone the software walking on them.  I do a pretty large amount of complaining but I go through the proper channels on my end to do it (not publicly in the forum where Autodesk sometimes monitors things).

Message 13 of 99
jletcher

Well its not the users here I was talking about microsoft Office. I am the only one on this version as of now. So all others don't know abut the ribbon yet...

As far as old interfae sure ..

1. Solid Edge

2. Albra

3. Cad 5

4. Microstation

They have not changed  ( yet)

And what I mean by voice of one is those that don't buy mega seats.. We are many but placed as one.

And just so you know I worked for IMAGINiT and Autodesk when Inventor 1st came out. So I know what about you do.. And it is not the same..

Also it seems to me that I am not the only one that hates it there are many many many that hate the ribbon I just make sure Autodesk hears where others just do...

Message 14 of 99
scottmoyse

@Anonymous wrote:

Autodesk a long time ago cared what the user wanted no unless you have 100 seats plus they don't care...

I'm sorry but that is complete Bullsh*t! If you get involved and make an effort with good or bad (as long as it productive) things to say then they are very responsive and most certainly care!

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 15 of 99
scottmoyse
in reply to: Paul-Mason

hahahahahahahaha

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 16 of 99
scottmoyse

I think you need to proof read your posts before submitting them, it will make them easier to read.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 17 of 99
Dave_SSDD9000

The first thing all of our users wanted to know was how to get rid of the ribbon. With the ribbon, many of your tools are hidden behind the current tab, if you don't remember what tab your tool is on, you will be clicking back and forth on various ribbon tabs until you see it (obviously a huge waste of time). With the "classic" style toolbars, all the tools you needed were visible to you at any given time.

I don't know anyone who prefers the ribbon over the "classic" style in any software. (except for the Imaginit person posting in here)

Message 18 of 99
mflayler2

Wrong on SolidEdge and Alibre...and Microstation, don't get me started on that sinking ship.

So you worked for IMAGINiT when Inventor first came out...and you think everything is the same here since then as we have been making the change from a reseller to a Professional Services Organization?  I used R4 all the way up to R11 before joining IMAGINiT and I have worked on many automation and consulting projects after joining that while we are not temps or contract employees at a company, still hold a lot of weight when deadlines are not met.  I could draw plenty of axioms on this but the point of the matter is...

You don't like the interface as do some others.  That amount is not the majority, and seeing as on average over the last 4 years that number has dwindled even smaller as the popularity of the software has exploded to new audiences that never knew about the Classic UI to begin with.  So what has to be done here is exactly like Scott mentioned...take up a petition and prove it to Autodesk.  Either champion the case or provide to it.  Right now, that would be a losing battle no matter what.  What should be done instead is to accept the Classic is gone and provide suggestions or enhancements to the new era of software interaction.

For instance..what if everytime I clicked on a Work Plane I got a Context Menu to control color, transperancy, and visibility controls?  How about they pull the trigger and make more mini-toolbar and complete the test they seem to be doing with it.  2013 added the shell to the mix, but I still have to go to a dialog on more than just those bread and butter tools.  How about they finally figure out how to allow user level customization of the Ribbon similar to AutoCAD's cui?  I would love to make my own tab withough dinking around the API to made an add-in.  Just saying..."I have to click click click click click instead of click" doesn't help make anything better or provide any insight as to what could be streamlined.  Start a petition with a caveat of no complaints, just suggestions and you will catch more attention with that from developers.  I did this and about 4-5 of my own feature requests got added to the software that made the interface easier to work with and provided more productivity (I'll let you guys guess which ones).  I collected information, polled users, and in the end that was enough for the change to happen.  Heck I even have a company locally to me that the 80% of the Sub Pack for Inventor 2010 was custom tailored for based on their useability and direct suggestions to the Autodesk development team and they only had about 50 seats, but they were all good ideas!

Message 19 of 99
scottmoyse
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Myself and all my staff now much prefer the ribbon to the classic menus, the youngest is 24 and never used the classic UI and the oldest is 64 and has used Inventor since the beginning. 

Now, the ribbon in AutoCAD has no place. You have a very valid point if it was applied to AutoCAD but even then you would need to approach it in the same way Mark is outlinining.

Take your negative energy and apply it in a positive way dude!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 20 of 99
mflayler2
in reply to: Dave_SSDD9000

So, not to state the obvious, but did you prepare your users for the Ribbon or just show them their new software one day?  Did you show them how use the Compact mode or adjust the Navigation Bar for example?  There really isn't that many commands in Inventor to get lost on which tabs contain them compared to the other programs like AutoCAD.

After about a week I was all set with the interface and had broken most of my old habits (and that is with R4-2009 under my belt), yea that stinks in production, but that is why you plan for it before rolling out updates you know will give a user pause and prepare them accordingly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report