Re: Classic menu in Inventor 2013

05-30-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: jletcher

It will be a similar hack for AutoCAD

================
Inventor 2014 Pro

HP xw8400 workstation
2 x Xeon duel-core 3Ghz CPU , 32 GB Ram
64bit Windows 7 Pro

AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 12 of 99 (1,039 Views)

05-30-2012 01:02 PM in reply to: timo.puska

Ha!  Demo dude.  I haven't done a demo in about two years.  I do actually train users to use the software and I do consulting work as well to actually make things, not just play.  Want to compare datasets?  Funny that you think you can know someone just from an assumption.  I deal with deadlines just the same as you do for delivering content and programming on a very high level with Inventor, not just the 10% you might see in a demo.

Your jumping off a bridge point is really bunk.  What you signify is that jumping off that bridge is a bad thing.  What you are trying to compare doesn't quite add up.  If the software that runs on my machine looks and feels the same the user experience between the software is easier to navigate for new users then that isn't simply follwing a trend, its good business sense to gain furthur adoption.  If your product is the unique product out of your competition and everyone already knew how to use your competitor's product, wouldn't you try and emulate to a certain extent to gain marketshare?  And of course others in your office are not going to like and get frustrated by it if they person they are calling to complain doesn't offer any advice on how to adjust to it.  Talk about poisoning the well.  Take a look at the other modeling software in the industry and see if anyone is hanging on to that old interface style...go ahead, I'll wait.  No?  Wonder why?

You clearly missed the point and have a very narrow field of vision.  Why would Autodesk listen to the voice of one if that one clearly don't understand the global dynamic and the different toolsets they need to provide and the adoption rate necessary to continue providing new releases and new feedback data.  You may not care for the Mold features, but a VERY large portion of China and Brazil do.  User adoption and ease of use is key.

If you assume I think Inventor is perfect then you are drawing judgements that just don't hold water let alone the software walking on them.  I do a pretty large amount of complaining but I go through the proper channels on my end to do it (not publicly in the forum where Autodesk sometimes monitors things).

Mark Flayler - Senior Application Engineer
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
*Pro
jletcher
Message 13 of 99 (1,016 Views)

05-30-2012 02:01 PM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

Well its not the users here I was talking about microsoft Office. I am the only one on this version as of now. So all others don't know abut the ribbon yet...

As far as old interfae sure ..

1. Solid Edge

2. Albra

3. Cad 5

4. Microstation

They have not changed  ( yet)

And what I mean by voice of one is those that don't buy mega seats.. We are many but placed as one.

And just so you know I worked for IMAGINiT and Autodesk when Inventor 1st came out. So I know what about you do.. And it is not the same..

Also it seems to me that I am not the only one that hates it there are many many many that hate the ribbon I just make sure Autodesk hears where others just do...

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 14 of 99 (1,000 Views)

05-30-2012 04:01 PM in reply to: jletcher

jletcher wrote:

Autodesk a long time ago cared what the user wanted no unless you have 100 seats plus they don't care...

I'm sorry but that is complete Bullsh*t! If you get involved and make an effort with good or bad (as long as it productive) things to say then they are very responsive and most certainly care!

Cheers
Scott Moyse

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Cheers!

*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 15 of 99 (997 Views)

05-30-2012 04:04 PM in reply to: Mason-Paul

hahahahahahahaha

Cheers
Scott Moyse

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Cheers!

*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 16 of 99 (986 Views)

05-30-2012 04:26 PM in reply to: jletcher

I think you need to proof read your posts before submitting them, it will make them easier to read.

Cheers
Scott Moyse

Contributor
Dave_SSDD9000
Message 17 of 99 (984 Views)

05-30-2012 04:34 PM in reply to: timo.puska

The first thing all of our users wanted to know was how to get rid of the ribbon. With the ribbon, many of your tools are hidden behind the current tab, if you don't remember what tab your tool is on, you will be clicking back and forth on various ribbon tabs until you see it (obviously a huge waste of time). With the "classic" style toolbars, all the tools you needed were visible to you at any given time.

I don't know anyone who prefers the ribbon over the "classic" style in any software. (except for the Imaginit person posting in here)

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 18 of 99 (984 Views)

05-30-2012 04:40 PM in reply to: jletcher

Wrong on SolidEdge and Alibre...and Microstation, don't get me started on that sinking ship.

So you worked for IMAGINiT when Inventor first came out...and you think everything is the same here since then as we have been making the change from a reseller to a Professional Services Organization?  I used R4 all the way up to R11 before joining IMAGINiT and I have worked on many automation and consulting projects after joining that while we are not temps or contract employees at a company, still hold a lot of weight when deadlines are not met.  I could draw plenty of axioms on this but the point of the matter is...

You don't like the interface as do some others.  That amount is not the majority, and seeing as on average over the last 4 years that number has dwindled even smaller as the popularity of the software has exploded to new audiences that never knew about the Classic UI to begin with.  So what has to be done here is exactly like Scott mentioned...take up a petition and prove it to Autodesk.  Either champion the case or provide to it.  Right now, that would be a losing battle no matter what.  What should be done instead is to accept the Classic is gone and provide suggestions or enhancements to the new era of software interaction.

For instance..what if everytime I clicked on a Work Plane I got a Context Menu to control color, transperancy, and visibility controls?  How about they pull the trigger and make more mini-toolbar and complete the test they seem to be doing with it.  2013 added the shell to the mix, but I still have to go to a dialog on more than just those bread and butter tools.  How about they finally figure out how to allow user level customization of the Ribbon similar to AutoCAD's cui?  I would love to make my own tab withough dinking around the API to made an add-in.  Just saying..."I have to click click click click click instead of click" doesn't help make anything better or provide any insight as to what could be streamlined.  Start a petition with a caveat of no complaints, just suggestions and you will catch more attention with that from developers.  I did this and about 4-5 of my own feature requests got added to the software that made the interface easier to work with and provided more productivity (I'll let you guys guess which ones).  I collected information, polled users, and in the end that was enough for the change to happen.  Heck I even have a company locally to me that the 80% of the Sub Pack for Inventor 2010 was custom tailored for based on their useability and direct suggestions to the Autodesk development team and they only had about 50 seats, but they were all good ideas!

*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 19 of 99 (981 Views)

05-30-2012 04:48 PM in reply to: Mason-Paul

Myself and all my staff now much prefer the ribbon to the classic menus, the youngest is 24 and never used the classic UI and the oldest is 64 and has used Inventor since the beginning. 

Now, the ribbon in AutoCAD has no place. You have a very valid point if it was applied to AutoCAD but even then you would need to approach it in the same way Mark is outlinining.

Take your negative energy and apply it in a positive way dude!

Cheers
Scott Moyse

*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 20 of 99 (980 Views)

05-30-2012 04:48 PM in reply to: Dave_SSDD9000

So, not to state the obvious, but did you prepare your users for the Ribbon or just show them their new software one day?  Did you show them how use the Compact mode or adjust the Navigation Bar for example?  There really isn't that many commands in Inventor to get lost on which tabs contain them compared to the other programs like AutoCAD.

After about a week I was all set with the interface and had broken most of my old habits (and that is with R4-2009 under my belt), yea that stinks in production, but that is why you plan for it before rolling out updates you know will give a user pause and prepare them accordingly

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.