Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
timo.puska
Message 1 of 99 (2,491 Views)

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

2491 Views, 98 Replies
05-30-2012 09:04 AM

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 99 (2,490 Views)

Re: Classic menu in Inventor 2013

05-30-2012 09:10 AM in reply to: timo.puska

Just use the darn ribbon already.. Its just fine.. You won't get hurt

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Pro
jletcher
Message 3 of 99 (2,473 Views)

05-30-2012 10:08 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

LOL no you will not get hurt. Yes you will with all the clicks you have to do now your click finger is going to hurt like heck. Tust me mine is killing me click click click click click UGH...............

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 4 of 99 (2,467 Views)

05-30-2012 10:37 AM in reply to: jletcher

I am sure the registry hack might still be availble, no they have not added it back to the colors tab of application options.  Personally, the ribbon is far better IMOP and I am more productive with it now than I ever was with the Classic UI and I have been using it since R4.  Granted I use shortcut keys and a 3D connexion mouse so my movement around the ribbon is perhaps not as much as other users.

For instance if you are going to the View tab to adjust your visual style everytime, then you have never seen the right way to do it with the Navigation bar.  That is first thing I teach engineers...how to make it better for them and common tasks.

Mark Flayler - Senior Application Engineer
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
*Pro
jletcher
Message 5 of 99 (2,461 Views)

05-30-2012 11:02 AM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

nope not for visual style.... To turn of work planes, sketches, section cuts. visual style I know that one :smileyhappy:

Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.  I do have 3D mouse love it had it for a long long time would be lost without it.

I would race any one, classic vs ribbon no shortcut keys.

Just give it back what is so hard about that.. Oh I know they want to force you to use it just like vault and muti users. No one used vault so we will force them by taking muti user out of Inventor unless you use vault.

Autodesk a long time ago cared what the user wanted no unless you have 100 seats plus they don't care...

And like I said when you come in the next morning windows will be just like apple one button mouse.. seee who cries now lol..

James Letcher
*Expert Elite*
Mark_Flayler
Message 6 of 99 (2,451 Views)

05-30-2012 11:15 AM in reply to: timo.puska

I might take that challenge...but with a twist.

Take 2 new users of similar skill sets and teach them on both interfaces.  You will find they will lean toward the Ribbon.  I tried this on a couple of users two years ago (about 20 users over 5 different training sessions).

Oh! This looks like Office!  I feel at home here.  That is a big deal to a new user in the first 10 days of using the product.  You can't make everyone happy, but as your user base grows you tend to go more mainstream than hardcore user that has used it for a while.  You may have some adjustment to get used to, but the newer users can grasp it better.

From a business standpoint, if I have to program two interfaces compared to one...I will program to the one that is trending in the market for software adoption for a wider user base.  Even with the Classic UI support over the last 3 releases not everything was supported and was very poorly organized with the new commands that were added like the Mold tools.  The layout of the Ribbon for the Mold work is really straighforward compared to the Classic way of doing it.

Mark Flayler - Senior Application Engineer
IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog:
http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 99 (2,446 Views)

05-30-2012 11:26 AM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

Couldn't say it any better than Marks 2 posts..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Valued Mentor
Mason-Paul
Message 8 of 99 (2,435 Views)

05-30-2012 11:44 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

EDITED after posting it looked confusing

I assume that you mean this registry hack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =1

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THIS FOR GOD SAKE BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY Then if it dose not work you can then restore the settings with out any worries

There is or there may be a chance of using this in 2013 to change the menu simply by looking for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =0

So the registry entry becomes

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0\System\Preferences\UIStyle InterfaceStyle =1

I've not got 2013 installed so can't say if it works. But having hacked the registry for other newer release programs the old hacks work most of the time if you remember to change the version name/number

There is a down side to this hack tough in that you CAN NOT customise the classic menu

================
Inventor 2014 Pro

HP xw8400 workstation
2 x Xeon duel-core 3Ghz CPU , 32 GB Ram
64bit Windows 7 Pro

AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Distinguished Contributor
Vlad.Makarov
Message 9 of 99 (2,415 Views)

05-30-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: timo.puska

Speaking from experience, you can switch with the hack but you will discover many bugs. The ribbon has magical properties & immediately transforms new users into modeling veterans. (According to what I keep hearing.)

jletcher
Message 10 of 99 (2,414 Views)

05-30-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: Mark_Flayler

well thats would work but the two users are autocad users..

as far as a trend ok new trend everyone is jumping off the bridge you going to follow?

And trust me no one that I talk to anyway like it. The new office oh god you sould have seen my phone it would not stop ringing for help. Why did they change it was most of the cries and yet 1 year later they all still hate it their production went down and has not recoverd yet to this day because of the ne interface. Still they click on the wrong tab in the ribbon.

Sorry will never like it. Anything that cost me time I will never like if I could do things with one click its a lot faster than the 3 it takes now..

as far as molding don't do it so did not need that feature.

From a business point I would listen to my users not other software users. But again no one listens to the voice of one.

Oh oh now I see why you are trying to support the ribbon you are not a user of the software but a demo dude. That explains everything to me now..  You don't use Inventor you play with it. If all I had to do was play I would not complain. You don't have deadliines ort a boss breathing down your neck saying it didn't take you that long before..

Mark Flayler Application Engineer - Manufacturing Solutions Division IMAGINiT's Manufacturing Solutions Blog: http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/

You are nothing but a robot for Autodesk of corse you are going to defend them.

You sound like Leon from autodesk. Inventor can walk on water...

James Letcher
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.