Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkout Process

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
158 Views, 4 Replies

Checkout Process

Can someone please tell me how this "Checkout" is suppose to work? In my
project file I have it set for "Shared" thinking that is what it needed to
be set for so that two of us can work on the file. Well that was wrong, Even
if a file is "Checked Out" to me I still get a message telling me that to
save the file I need to belong to that workgroup. I am the only one that has
been working on this project. What I would like to do is get back to a
situation that the "Checkout" will no longer be needed. Changing this in the
project affects files that are all ready "Checked Out" Will I need to open
every file and change a setting? I have the paths linked in the "Workgroup
Search Paths"
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rllthomas
in reply to: Anonymous

I've been testing it under semi-isolated and it works good. I setup my workspace on my local machine and put all the project files on a network drive and called that the workgroup search path. If I load the model and select file status in the browser I can individually check parts out. This copies those files to the hard drive in my workspace. Now if I go to another machine and load those files I see that some were checked out on the first machine. If I check different files out, go back to the first machine and do an "update status" I can see which files I checked out on the second machine. Checkin copies your changes from the workspace to the workgroup seach path where they came from and puts the old copie in the Oldversions subdirectory. At least in semi-isolated everything works as expected. You may have a project file issue causing your problems. - Rich Thomas
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

How I am setup is: I have all my project and part
files on a network. I dont use anything on local machine. I do not want to have
to check any files anymore. This project has a lot of files.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I've
been testing it under semi-isolated and it works good. I setup my workspace on
my local machine and put all the project files on a network drive and called
that the workgroup search path. If I load the model and select file status in
the browser I can individually check parts out. This copies those files to the
hard drive in my workspace. Now if I go to another machine and load those
files I see that some were checked out on the first machine. If I check
different files out, go back to the first machine and do an "update status" I
can see which files I checked out on the second machine. Checkin copies your
changes from the workspace to the workgroup seach path where they came from
and puts the old copie in the Oldversions subdirectory. At least in
semi-isolated everything works as expected. You may have a project file issue
causing your problems. - Rich Thomas
Message 4 of 5
dcharville

It sounds like you just need to change your "multi-user" option in your project to "off". This will make Inventor "ignore" the file's status. You obviously need to have all Inventor files closed, otherwise, the project is made "read-only", and you will not be able to change that option (it will be grayed out).

Another note though...I have found that Design Assistant will not allow you to modify the files under the manage tab if the status is checked-out (or reserved if a 5.3 file)- regardless of the current project files multi-user option status. If you need to do idw copying and any file to be copied is "reserved/checked-out", then you will have to open with Inventor with a "shared or semi-isolated" project, and check that file in, or resolve/cancel check-out".

...Since IV6 does not allow you to "unreserved/cancel check-out" from iProperties/Status tab, a possible alternative to opening each "reserved/checked-out" file with Inventor is to install 5.3 and select ALL inventor files through Explorer, and RMB/properties, "unreserve" ALL files.

I have yet to actually try this, but if someone else does, I'd be interested in hearing if it worked. I would refer to other posts on behavior of a double install (v5.3 & v6).
Message 5 of 5
StefanTondl

We are just in the process of migrating form IV5.3 to IV6.

After reading the white paper for the project files ande playing a bit around I came to the following conclusuion:
Before migrating any part unreserve them all with IV5.3.
If you don't do this you won't have fun with the semi isolated Project file setup , becaue IV thinks stuff is already in the workspace, this causing a lot of funny msg when pressing the safe button.
With the project files i'm not sure if you realy need a seperate file for your local workspace (referencing to the main one ont the server)or if it would fine to use a project file on the server pointing to the local work space.

I guess the semi-isolated setup is the way to go (once you got the setup right) in terms of performance and network load.

Stefan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums