Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking out parts from your custom libraries?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
alevy
377 Views, 13 Replies

Checking out parts from your custom libraries?

I have a lot of custom libraries for purchased items for my projects. When I bring them into my assemblies I cannot turn on or off surface planes or make any changes. I get the message that the file is not checked out to me. How can I make it so they are always checked out to me. The libraries are mine on my system.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: alevy

What version of Inventor and Vault are you using?

Are these libraries published to the CC?

Even though they are your libraries and on your local, if you have checked them into the vault then that is where they reside.  The local is just a copy of the master in the vault.

Is this a network vault with other users?

Also, what doesnlt make sense to me is that regardless if you have these items checked out, you still should be able to toggle the planes and axis on/off here under the view tab.

planes.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 14
alevy
in reply to: Cadmanto

I do not use vault. The files are in folders on my data drive.

Message 4 of 14
Cadmanto

Sorry,  when you use the term "Checking Out" that is commonly used with Vault/PDM type softwares so that is why I thought you were using it.  Anyway, you still didn't answer the question about what version of Inventor youare using.

When you use the term"Libraries" are you talking about CC (Content Center) parts? 

Are any of these parts in the CC?

Can you post some images of this error you are seeing?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 14
alevy

I am using Inventor Professional 2014. These are libraries I create for the projects referencing folders I have with the purchased components in them. I cannot show you there message, I have tried to print screen and a few other things and it will not let me do anything. The message has two lines. The first states, Cannot modify the library file F:\smc\flow controls\AS3201F-03-10S.ipt Component F:\smc\flowcontrols\AS320-03-10S.ipt is not checked out to you. Edits are not allowed on this file.

Message 6 of 14
Cadmanto

Are you an admin to your own PC?  Sounds like you are locked out to some degree and your rights to these folders have been taken away.  Seems like you only have  read only rights.

FYI, if you are using Windows 7 there is a tool called "Snipping Tool" found under the Ascessories.

snip.JPG

You can use this tool for screen capturing and save them as a png or jpg to insert in these threads.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 14
alevy

I am the administrator on the computer. I setup my systems when I buy them. Thank you for the info on the snipping tool. I was not aware of it.

Message 8 of 14
cwhetten

Files in a library folder are, by definition, read-only.  As far as Inventor is concerned, that is the entire difference between library and regular folders in your project workspace.  See here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/1283-Inventor1283/1632-Work_Env1632/1672-Project...

If you need to modify these files, consider whether they really belong in a library folder.  However, sometimes even legitimate library files need to be modified.  To do so, you basically have to create a special project (IPJ) file that sees the folder in question as a standard folder.  This project file would only exist for the purpose of modifying library files.

I suggest you do some reading on project files and how they work.  Use the link above to get started.

One way to modify a library file without creating an extra project file is to save a copy of the file in a non-library folder, modify the copy and save it, then in windows explorer, copy and paste the modified file over the original one in the library folder.

Post back if you have further questions.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 9 of 14
rdyson

You can't edit library files, even to change visibility.
First move them to a folder not in a library path then open and change visibility, save and move them back.

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: cwhetten

Cameron,

I know what you are saying is right, and I might be totally wrong in saying this, but I somehow get the impression that the OP in using the term "Library" is using it figuratively speaking.  Meaning what he is talking about refering to libraries is not what Inventor knows libraries to be (like you explained). 

Like I said, I might be totally wrong in this.  Smiley Sad

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 14
alevy

So as I understand it the libraries I create, the files in them cannot be changed at all if they are in the libraries. This really stinks bad. I have the libraries organized for my work. Having to move them to new locations each time is a hassel and slows down progress. This is something that Autodesk needs to look at making some changes on. I shuold be able to setup the library so that I can turn work plains on and off and things like this or even make constraint changes to go with the work I am doing.

Message 12 of 14
Cadmanto

Like I hinted at in one of my other postings, you might want to look at publishing these parts into the content center.

That way they are always there and never move.  Plus they are secure.  As long as you have a good backup system in place.  I would also recommend if you do decide to do this, to place the CC on a secure network.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 14
cwhetten

If you need to be constantly changing parts, a library folder is not the right place for these parts.  Put them in a standard project folder, and your life will be much easier.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 14 of 14
LT.Rusty
in reply to: cwhetten

The other thing you can do is set up a second project file, where the workspace is defined as your library.  This is what I've done, and it makes editing library parts - on the rare occasion that I need to - much easier.

Cadmanto - the whole "not checked out to you" behavior is what Inventor says when it encounters a part that it believes should be read-only, or when the file is marked as read-only in Windows.  It has nothing - in this case - to do with Vault or with machine permissions.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report