Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking in from Inventor while closing vault.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DMRichardson
593 Views, 7 Replies

Checking in from Inventor while closing vault.

Has anyone experianced a problem when using Inventor to check in a (large->slow) file while closing vault at the same time?

One of my colegues had a drawing file lose some of his changes when he checked in.  we could not see a reason why, as the file was in vault with the correct time stamp.  the file was the same as the previous check in.

This morning i have had a similar problem, where by i had made changes before checking in last night and when i opened the file in the morning the changes where not there.

I looked on my c drive in old versions (before i did anything else to overwrite it!) and low and behold the changes there!

The only thing i remember doing that was not normal was to close Vault while this large file was in the process of checking in through inventor. 

Could this be the cause of the problems?

Regards
David Richardson
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: DMRichardson
Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto

When I am working with files from the vault I always have vault client along with my session of Inventor open.

I will often in Inventor just close the file and it will prompt me asking if I want to check it into the vault to which I usually say "Yes".  Understanding that while I am actively working on this project/files, I retain ownership of the files so not to lose the connection between the vault and my local.  What you are describing in closing vault at the same time while checking in does not make any sense as to why you would do this. Are you closing your session of Inventor as well after checking in?  If not, then why are you closing your vault client?  But with that said, it shouldn't effect the changes saved versus not saved.  You are basically saving to a server.  Whether your client is open is irrelevant. 

In my opinion the bigger question is when you open these files are you opening them up from your local, or the vault.

If your local is more up to date then the vault at the time of opening it, and you open it up from the vault, if you say yes to over write the local then yes, it would appear as your changes are not saved.  If you are opening it up from your local (assuming you still have ownership of it) then you changes will still be there.  When you check in, are you retaining ownership in the check in screen?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 8
DMRichardson
in reply to: cbenner

Hello Chris,

I use the 'file''open' route to open files through inventor.  if it's not in my c drive i will use the 'open from vault button' in the 'open' menu to locate the file, and open through inventor.

I usually check things in and delete copies in my workspace every night.

i've not had any real problems before, but i thought it was a little strange that two of us were having similar issues at the same time. 

My friend says he was not closing the vault program down at the same time as checking in, which would point to something else going wrong...

any ideas?

(By the way, we are still using super old Inventor 2011.and Vault 2011)

Regards
David Richardson
Message 5 of 8
DMRichardson
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hello Scott,

I was shutting down for the night and as well as closing down other programs i closed down the vault program whist i was checking in the inventor file through the vaut browser bar.

As i said to chris i would use the check in, close files and delete.

then i open through inventor in the morning finding files through the 'file' 'open'/'open from vault' route.

This usually means i always have the latest vault version.

But i had made changes which i had saved (as i found the chages in my old versions folder)

These changes, for some reason, did not get into vault when i shut down.

My friend had a problem with a drawing he was working on.  he had been working on it for a full day, and the version he found in the vault the next morning only had half a days changes on it, even though he only checked it in once at the end of the day.

It's as though the check in is not using the right save file or something?

Thanks for the help

David

Regards
David Richardson
Message 6 of 8
Cadmanto

What version of Vault are you using?  Basic, workgroup..

Try this, check the files out from vault client and take ownership of them.  Make changes to them on your local.

Check them back in without relinquishing ownership.  Close the file and do not delete from your local.

Call them back up and make some more changes and recheck them back in.

Let me know if this process works for you.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 8
DMRichardson

Hey Scott,

We are using Basic 2011 (build 15.0.58.0)

Nothing odd happend when i followed that workflow.

I guess it could be some kind of server issue, but it's odd that only one person had the problem on one day. 

is it posible to check in an unsaved file somehow? i'm not even sure if you can mess up checking in, even if you tried.  given the fact the 'old versions' folder had the correct save file in, how can vault not???

it's only happened on a handful of occasions but it can be a substantial amount of work lost.  which is why i bring the problem up.

Thanks

David

Regards
David Richardson
Message 8 of 8
Cadmanto

David,

I don't know about the basic version, but I am using workgroup and that will not allow you to check in an unsaved file.  In fact it prompts you to save before checking in.  I would guess that the basic version is the same way.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report