Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

check in problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Dan_Margulius
1175 Views, 9 Replies

check in problem

Hello,

Sometimes my inventor drawing does not want to check in. I click on check in and nothing happens.

if i go the assembly and try to save it gives a message of do save copy as and refresh. if i refresh I loose my work and 

the drawing reverse to the previous version as it represents now the previous versio of the assy. 

I dont know why this happens, any help with this?

I work with Inventor 2013 and vault pro 2014.

Thanks

Dan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
wimann
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Dan,

I want to say I've had a simliar issue before that was not so easily explained but it sounds like the files are not checked out to you? Maybe they're checked out to someone else? At first glance, though I know that's incredibly basic, that would be what I'd check. Do you have a file doing this now?

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 3 of 10
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: wimann

Hello,
i don't have it now. I did save copy as, deleted the original and check in again the new assy and the updated drawing. I can swear that my assy was checked out to me. saw the icon. I don't even know what triggers it
Dan
Message 4 of 10
wimann

Yeah, like I said, I feel as though I've experienced that in the past. When I had something checked out that wouldn't do anything when I tried to check it back in. Tough to say what caused it though...

If it happens again, I'll be sure to post on here what I take away from the experience.

Until then, best of luck! 🙂

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 10
lkrenzler
in reply to: wimann

I run into this same crap every day.  There are several issues that it could be.

1) Someone else has the same assembly or drawing checked out.  You check it out and Inventor does not tell you that it is already check out!  It just does NOT check it out to you but acts as if everything is fine.  You then make changes and discover that you can't check it in.  Seriously annoying. I get in the habbit of looking to see if the "Check In" button is active before I start which seems to indicate that you actually have it checked out or check your Vault browser to make sure.

2) Very often Inventor will say that some associated part has to be saved before you can check in.  I say OK but it just sits there.  It doesn't save or check in (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't).  I then try to save it first and then check it in but it doesn the same thing no mater what or how many times I save.  Usually in this case, if you close the file it will "Check-In" while closing.  If not, you can open your local file and try again.

3) Also sometimes, Inventor completely loses track of what is saved and what isn't (a whole other bag of worms).  One way around it sometimes is to go back and change some small thing to trick inventor into seeing changes that need to be saved and then re-saving again.

One other thing you can try is "undo checkout" on the drawing and check it out again (choosing not to overwrite your local files) and then try to check in again.

I could fill a whole page on Inventor/Vault file handling stupidity but hopefully something in there helps.  Let me know if it doesn't and I'll keep going 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
Message 6 of 10
salariua

When it prompts for save as right click on the exisinting file and take off the read only !

Cancel the save as and do a normal save. At least even if it's checked out by someone else you don't loose the work.

You can then later check it out without replacing the local existing files that you just updated!

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 7 of 10
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: salariua

Hello Guys,
Thank you for all the ideas. I will try them as this will happen again for sure.
Dan
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

It happened again, drawing checked out, part and assy checkout. 

The part does not want to be saved, drawing and assy yes. If we refresh we get the previous version.

s.PNG

Thanks

Dan

Message 9 of 10
salariua

Are you using shared workspace ? Like on a network drive?

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 10 of 10
lkrenzler

Do you know who marcd is?  Another member of your eng. team?

It seems to me like this might be what happened:  You may have checked out the assembly but not the part (easy mistake to make, with the current system).  When you check out the assembly you have to specify "Check Out All" or manually check out the parts or the parts will not be checked out.  Then, as you were working, marcd made a change to the part (which he had checked out).  Is that possible?  I've had this exact scenario many times.

Also aggravating this situation is that Inventor doesn't seem to know what "change" means.  So even if marcd just opened and checked out the part, looked at it and then checked it in again without making any changes, it would still be seen as "changed" by Inventor/Vault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report