I need to change my parts list style for all of my drawings from this point forward. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this. I have my project set to read-write and I've tried this 10 ways til Sunday but it won't take. There are several things that I want to achieve but I'd be happy with just one of them for now. All I want to do is remove the ITEM column from my default parts list. After this I want to merge rows by part number, etc. Can anyone give me simple directions on how to do this? Thanks.
Rows should automatically merge if all the information contained within them is identical.
As far as removing the column do that with the Parts List column chooser in the Style Manager.
Oh- this will only change the parts list for the active document. If you want to do this across the board for all new documents going forward, make the style changes to your template.
I was in my template. I opened the actual template from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Templates and tried to do this from here. Then I updated the style and saved it to the library. Still comes up as before.
Did you create a new style or edit an existing one? Check under Object Defaults for the currently active standard to make sure that your edited Parts List style is the active one.
I edited an existing one. I checked and it is active.
Take a look at the attached drawing. You can use the style from there if you need to.
One thing to note when you edit the style is that it won't automatically update an existing object that has been placed using the older version of the style. You'll have to manually select the object and on the Annotate tab change the style, then change it back. If you're not already set to "By Standard," you can set it to that and it will update to the newest version of the style active in the standard. If you are, then you'll have to change to something else and then change back. It'll update then.
So after playing around with it a little more I realized that my standards tab was set to local. I changed it to active standard and I think I got it.
Glad you figured it out ... that's one of those things that seems like it should be no problem but it just frustrates the heck out of you for hours until you find the tiny little issue or setting.
I know. It is quite amazing that they couldn't write the program to be a little more user friendly. Thanks!