Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the Part List Style

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
SteveFrey
1247 Views, 13 Replies

Changing the Part List Style

I need to change my parts list style for all of my drawings from this point forward.  For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this.  I have my project set to read-write and I've tried this 10 ways til Sunday but it won't take.  There are several things that I want to achieve but I'd be happy with just one of them for now.  All I want to do is remove the ITEM column from my default parts list.  After this I want to merge rows by part number, etc.  Can anyone give me simple directions on how to do this?  Thanks.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
LT.Rusty
in reply to: SteveFrey

Rows should automatically merge if all the information contained within them is identical. 

As far as removing the column do that with the Parts List column chooser in the Style Manager.

parts list column chooser.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
LT.Rusty
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Oh-  this will only change the parts list for the active document.  If you want to do this across the board for all new documents going forward, make the style changes to your template.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
SteveFrey

I was in my template.  I opened the actual template from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Templates and tried to do this from here.  Then I updated the style and saved it to the library.  Still comes up as before.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 5 of 14
LT.Rusty

Did you create a new style or edit an existing one?  Check under Object Defaults for the currently active standard to make sure that your edited Parts List style is the active one.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
SteveFrey

I edited an existing one.  I checked and it is active. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 7 of 14
LT.Rusty

Take a look at the attached drawing.  You can use the style from there if you need to.

One thing to note when you edit the style is that it won't automatically update an existing object that has been placed using the older version of the style.  You'll have to manually select the object and on the Annotate tab change the style, then change it back.  If you're not already set to "By Standard," you can set it to that and it will update to the newest version of the style active in the standard.  If you are, then you'll have to change to something else and then change back.  It'll update then.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
SteveFrey

So after playing around with it a little more I realized that my standards tab was set to local.  I changed it to active standard and I think I got it. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 9 of 14
LT.Rusty

D'oh!  

Glad you figured it out ... that's one of those things that seems like it should be no problem but it just frustrates the heck out of you for hours until you find the tiny little issue or setting.  🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
SteveFrey

I know.  It is quite amazing that they couldn't write the program to be a little more user friendly.  Thanks!

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 11 of 14
SteveFrey

So one other question:  I want my parts list to display the items alphabetically by part number.  I see how to do this in the BOM settings in an assembly but can't figure out how to set this in the parts list.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 12 of 14
LT.Rusty

Double-click on the parts list and there's a sort button there.  You can sort by just about any column in the table.

parts list sort.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
SteveFrey

Is there a way to set this as a default?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 14 of 14
LT.Rusty

I don't think there is, but you might look at the grouping options in the style editor.  That might do it, but I'm honestly not sure.  I tend to order them by item number rather than part number, and I try to set the item number order by balloon position going clockwise from upper left, so I wind up re-doing all the item numbers and sorting by that.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report