Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Changing part properties in an assembly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bfaruquee7883
539 Views, 3 Replies

Changing part properties in an assembly

I have often right clicked a part in the browser of an assembly and edited its properties. This may include stock number, material and adaptability.

Drawings of these assemblies seem to update accordingly. At least initially.

I have noticed often several sessions later, the same properties have defaulted to their original value.

And so I queried the help files and came across the statement in the corrections attachment.

What does the highlighted sentence mean, exactly? And which properties respond to a change at the part level when edited in an assembly?

Using Inventor 2012 \ Windows 7 \ Dell Precision \ dual EH(quad core) @ 2.13 GHz \ 4 G Ram

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: bfaruquee7883

The best place to edit part properties from within the assembly is through the bill of materials (Assemble tab > Manage panel > Bill of Materials).

Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: bfaruquee7883

I wonder if the problem is at least partly that changes to a part aren't saved until the part file itself is saved.  Modifying iProperties from the assembly browser, or even from the BOM doesn't save them to the file until the part is explicitly saved, right?  Which I am typically prompted to do before exiting the assembly.

Message 4 of 4
bfaruquee7883
in reply to: SBix26

You are correct; propertied are not saved until explicitly applied when saving the assembly.

My confusion is the lack of clarity to the statement in the help file as to which properties are  permanent and which are not. For example, adaptivity remains in effect for several edits? This statement made me question other  properties as well. Perhaps I am reading too much into that statement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report