Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change viewing angle of Isometric sectioned view

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
iUser
2180 Views, 9 Replies

Change viewing angle of Isometric sectioned view

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone out there has come accross this issue as well and hopefully has an answer to this.

Basically I need to be able to change the viewing angle of a sectioned isometric view. Is this possible? See photos for a better example.

Cheers...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: iUser

I think if you place an appropriate view off-sheet at angle and use that to define your section - you can get something like what you want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
iUser
in reply to: JDMather

I just tried that and it doesn't work..  The problem is when you create a section view and then from that section you project a view it automatically chooses your angle depending on which way you drag your mouse.. You have your normal front, top, left, right etc views, and then you have your standard 4 isometric views if you pull the mouse diagonally up or down.. And im trying to change this standard view angle for a few different reasons. Not only would this take less space, but it also "shows more" of the inside of your model.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I will try to post an example later today.

It might be faster if you could attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 10
DRoam

I'm trying to do the same thing. I created a section view and then Projected it to get an isometric view. But the viewing angle is too sharp and I want to adjust it. Is this impossible in Inventor?

(PS, I'm not going to Shrinkwrap my assembly to a separate file and make an extrusion cut just to get the isometric section view I need, that's just silly. Plus it won't result in hatching on the cut faces.)

Message 6 of 10
kelly.young
in reply to: DRoam

Hello @DRoam this thread is a bit old but in the 2018 you can use a section of a Custom View Orientation.

SectionsView.png

It isn't possible as of yet to get a section and then rotate it. Like you stated using the copy>cut is a bit tedious but can achieve the results you're looking for.

Not the best answer, but with a bit of work you should be able to get any section view you like.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 10
DRoam
in reply to: kelly.young

I don't think I could achieve the orientation I need by taking a section of an isometric view. I'd need to be able to adjust the orientation of the section view itself. So there is no workaround to achieve this even in Inventor 2017/2018?

Message 8 of 10
kelly.young
in reply to: DRoam

@DRoam made me put on my thinking cap.

The best workaround that we all know is making an (assembly or part level either works) Extrude Cut and then setting a View Representation and Hatch the cut (sectioned) area.

Another way is to Rotate the projected view of the section and repeat multiple times until you get the view you want.

This is indeed a bit ridiculous, but you could figure out some sort of correlation between the initial 45° axonometric section projection and the subsequent rotations to get exactly to view you want.

If you are pertinacious in making this a set function you could possibly set some iLogic to create projected views then rotate by degree and delete previous for as many iterations it takes to get your desired angle but I'm not going to rack my brain that far.

Maybe post a new topic in the Inventor Customization Forum and the expert iLogic guys can make some magic!

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 10
blair
in reply to: kelly.young

That was my suggestion, Derive to another part or IAM and Extrude>Cut. It would be nice if we could suppress Assembly Features at the View-Rep Level. A person could create a new View-Rep, use the Assemble Feature>Extrude.Cut and then place this view in the drawing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 10
peter.hamas

Hello Everyone,

I believe this is a limitation that should be loosened fairly easy,
I found a relevant Idea station proposal I would like to highlight for you guys >>here<<
Please consider voting for the idea (I already did!)

Kind Regards, ~peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report