Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
raymondlee306
Message 1 of 10 (585 Views)

Change Tube and Pipe Styles after populated

585 Views, 9 Replies
11-01-2012 12:00 PM

Ive got pretty good with the tube and pipe runs now, I am making runs, drawings, and BOM way faster than I could ever have done the old way (constraining many elbows to many pipes). But After getting a whole machine modeled, drawings completed, and BOM's finished I got thrown a curve ball and 2 out of 16 runs need to change size. The only way I can think to do this is to delete those 2 runs and start over with a different style. This means redoing those two drawings, balloons, dimensions and the BOMs. If there is a way to change from, for example, 1" threaded pipe style to a 1.5" threaded pipe style? Then my drawings, balloons, dimensions and the BOMs on them would update automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Contributor
Brojefj
Message 2 of 10 (480 Views)

Re: Change Tube and Pipe Styles after populated

09-05-2013 08:06 AM in reply to: raymondlee306

I'm having this same problem, I will create a hose run and then end up having to change the size of the hose. at that point I will edit the run and activate a different style withing the run but it doesn't seem to do anything. did you ever find a solution to your problem? if so could you please post it.

ross.hollands
Message 3 of 10 (436 Views)

10-21-2013 08:01 AM in reply to: Brojefj

Hi

I asked the same question to my support reseller after the forum drew a blank.  They sent me helpful vidoes whoihc I am happy to share if you send your email address.  I could not upload here unfortunately.

Cheers

Ross

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 4 of 10 (429 Views)

10-21-2013 09:32 AM in reply to: ross.hollands

Depending on how the pipe run was created, you should be able to change styles with no problems (or few).  Especially a size only change.  Changing actual specs (welded to threaded for example) may be abit trickier, but should still work.  I do this all the time thanks to some finicky engineers.  :smileyhappy:

If you have a specific issue please post a screen capture, or better yet an assembly that exhibits the problem behavior and we can take a look at it.

IV2013 Pro

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

raymondlee306
Message 5 of 10 (419 Views)

10-21-2013 01:31 PM in reply to: raymondlee306

I apologize for not posting it here. What my problem ended up being was the ribbon panel that had the size and style on it was turned off by default I guess. I watched some youtube videos and saw it. Without ever seeing it before I had no idea it wasn't there. Now that I have some time invested in it I can fly through making routes and such. Changing size still creates some headaches, but very controllable headaches.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 6 of 10 (407 Views)

10-22-2013 06:42 AM in reply to: raymondlee306

Happy to hear you're rolling now.  I know learning T&P can be fairly painful.... so can working with it when you THINK you know what you're doing!  :smileywink:

ChrisB

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

poreng
Message 7 of 10 (285 Views)

02-20-2014 07:24 PM in reply to: cbenner

Please furnish the link to the video.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 8 of 10 (273 Views)

02-21-2014 08:06 AM in reply to: poreng

poreng wrote:

Please furnish the link to the video.

Welcome to the group!

Which video are you looking for?  Did you mean the youtube video the OP mentioned above?  I'm not sure he ever specified which video provided his solution.  There are a lot of Autodesk related tutorial videos on You Tube.  A search on thier site for whatever you're having trouble with usually turns up at least one good one.

Is there something specific you need help with?

ChrisB

poreng
Message 9 of 10 (263 Views)

02-21-2014 09:52 AM in reply to: cbenner

Yes, sorry.

I am new to Tube and Pipe Routing and looking for methods to edit a manually or an auto-routed model which has been populated.

I have found several good tutorials nut can't seem to find one that addresses this.  My results have been sort of random...not controllable.

How do you slide a valve or tee over 12"?  change a segment of pipe to a different size and add reducers?

Thanks for your response.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 10 of 10 (256 Views)

02-21-2014 11:13 AM in reply to: poreng

poreng wrote:

Yes, sorry.

I am new to Tube and Pipe Routing and looking for methods to edit a manually or an auto-routed model which has been populated.

I have found several good tutorials nut can't seem to find one that addresses this.  My results have been sort of random...not controllable.

How do you slide a valve or tee over 12"?  change a segment of pipe to a different size and add reducers?

Thanks for your response.

First piece of advice is never use Auto Routes.  They don't update well when you make changes.  When an Auto Route is generated, right click and choose "Convert to Sketch".  Here, you might want to read the advice I gave in this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Tube-and-Pipe-Getting-Started/m-p/4827803#U4827803

To slide a fitting in a pipe run, you have 2 options:  Right click the fitting and select Edit Fitting Orientation, then either pick a new location along the axis, or right click again and select Enter Distance.  The other option is to edit the route itself, and change the dimension to the node that is under that fitting.  Either way works.

To change sizes, you can change either the entire route or just one segment.  The route size is controlled by the pipe style you selected when you created that route.  Changing the style, will chnage the size of the entire route, but not any fittings you placed inline after the route was generated.  To change just one segment, simply right click and select Change Size.  Again, this will not change any fittings.  Also, if you change the size of one segment and then add a fitting in the middle of that segment,... one or both of the resulting new segments may revert back to the original size set up in the pipe style for that route.

Reducers are no different than any inline fitting, but they do NOT change the line size downstream.  this is probably my biggest wish list item,... but right now it doesn't do that.

Hope this helps.

ChrisB

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.