Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Sketch Hatch/Fill Layer?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
gerhick
3865 Views, 17 Replies

Change Sketch Hatch/Fill Layer?

Hi all,

I can't help but think I'm overlooking something simple here... But I want to create multiple Hatches/Fill Regions (for a sketch in a drawing) on multiple layers. Hatch1 goes on Layer 1, Hatch 2 goes on Layer 2 and so forth.

From what I can tell, the only control we have over the layer is by means of changing the 'Object Defaults' in the Styles Manager. But that means that all hatches will be on the same layer.

Can anyone confirm or correct this for me?

Regards

PointZero Design and Drafting
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: gerhick

Hi gerhick,

You can place your hatches in the sketch, and then switch over to the Annotate tab, and then select each hatch, and then select the layer to place it on from the Layer drop down list.

Autodesk Inventor Hatch Layers.png

If you need to do a lot of this, you might consider adding a Layer button to your Sketch tab. You can do this by right clicking anywhere on the sketch tab and select Customize USer Commands:

Autodesk Inventor Hatch Layers3.png

Then select the Annotate tab and select the Layer tool. This will add a button the sketch tab that will allow you to change layers more easily:

Autodesk Inventor Hatch Layers4.png

I hope that helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 3 of 18
gerhick
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Okay... Good point, that works well.

I should have tested hatches before I made my original post. My issues was actually related to Colour Fill, I just assumed hatches would be the same since they use the same tool...

Can you repeat those steps for Colour Fill?

Message 4 of 18
Curtis_Waguespack

Ahhh, I see. You're correct it doesn't work with Colour Fills. At least I could not get it to. It seems that we can't select the Fill object unless the Hatch/Fill tool is active, unless I missed something in the selection filters.

Message 5 of 18
gerhick
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yeah, thats the same behaviour I'm getting. I couldn't even see any layer properties etc for the Colour Fill in the VBA side of things...

I think we might just go with a hatch that has a very small scale...

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 18

Another example of consistency issues with Autodesk Software! :o(

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 18
dominiek_vanwest

Hi,

I have the same problem. I'm using Inventor 2015. I see this post is from 2011.

Is it really true that this is still not possible in 2015?

Is there a workaround for this (putting a very small number as scale is not an option as Inventor seems to have problems with that, too many lines probably)?

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 8 of 18

Does someone have an answer to my question above?

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 9 of 18

@dominiek_vanwest wrote:

Is there a workaround for this (putting a very small number as scale is not an option as Inventor seems to have problems with that, too many lines probably)?

I've done this a lot in the past and havent noticed any issues. Maybe you did it too tight? There are some hatch enhancement requests on the ideastation, make sure you vote for them.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 18

With putting a small number as scale, the file size increases, which is something I'd like to avoid.

Many times the idw files need to be saved as autocad file or pdf, which also increase in file size.

I'd search through the ideastation, though that's rather crappy organized, everything together, a bit of sorting would have been better.....

Message 11 of 18

Has this been fixed yet?

I want to use filled symbols to highlight features, and I want to be able to turn them on or off, depending on who is using the drawing.

Surely by now this feature has been added?

Message 12 of 18

Hi! I am not 100% sure your issue is the same as this old thread. Solid Fill hatch has been implemented for a few releases. You can predefine the solid fill color or you can change it within a sketch based hatch. Could you try it and see if your workflow works? Or, please describe the exact workflow or result you are looking for.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 18

Yes it is an old thread, and one that, from what I've seen, has not yet been adequately resolved.

The company for which I work sends that same drawing to different departments for manufacture.

Traditionally, these drawings would have different features highlighted for specific attention by the different departments, and these features were added manually.

What seek to to is to but the different symbols on different layers, so that these drawings do not need post printing attention.

This much I can do, and has been a longstanding feature.

Traditionally we would use coloured highlighters to make these individual symbols stand out.

I can put a hatch on the appropriate layer of the symbol (I can click on the hatch and change the layer through the Annotations menu.)

Is there a way to change the layer of a solid fill?

I believe that this was the gist of the original enquiry all those years ago..

Thank you

Message 14 of 18

Hi! Indeed, the ability to change individual hatch layer is not available yet. This sounds like a workflow AutoCAD can handle easily. AutoCAD actually can create associative drawing views of Inventor assemblies and parts. The command is called VIEWBASE. Have you tried it before?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 18

Hatch layers can be changed.

Fill layers cannot be changed.

We have thousands of legacy drawings.

We do not wish to recreate them.

Can this feature be added to Inventor.

We have been asking for it for many years.

Message 16 of 18

Hi! The closest idea on the forum is the following.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-hatching/idi-p/6323068

This is about the ability to define solid hatch. However, the ability to change layer has not been well defined. Currently, you can change Sketch Hatch layer color so that all the Solid hatch color will be changed. However, it cannot be done on a per hatch basis. Do you mind elaborating the exact requirement you are looking for?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 18

I want to change the the layer of a colour fill in an idw sketch.

I know that I can change the layer of a hatch, but I want to change the layer of a colour fill.

Fill.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 18 of 18

Hi! Many thanks for the additional information! Indeed, the ability to designate one hatch to a different layer is not yet available. I will work with the project team to understand the request better and see what we can do.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report