Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change part coordinate system?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
31821 Views, 20 Replies

change part coordinate system?

Hi I'm sure this has been covered before but I cannot seem to find the answer in help or on this forum.  I'm using INV 2011.  I want to change the part coordinate system from Y axis pointing up to Z pointing up so I can have a part STL printed more effectively.  I tried creating a grounded point, then changing the orientation to Z pointing up but this did not appear to change the overall part orientation.  I have also tried to change the first sketch coordinate system. but this doesn't work either (no geometry visible to define Z direction).  I sketched the part in X-Y plane and extruded it in the -Z direction.  I should have sketched it in X-Z and extruded it in -Y.

I dont think I want a UCS, I want to change the original part orientation in space.

any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Bob

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21

Hi Steven,

There isn't any option to change how Inventor coordinates work. The UCS settings in Document Settings -> Modeling is to configure an UCS object (available in a part or an assembly). The default plane is the default direction when you use Look At command to see the UCS. The view direction will be set to the default plane accordingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report